This position provides a variety of administrative services in support of the Solid Waste Division's Operations section. Operations is based at the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill in Maple Valley, Washington, with a staff of approximately 280 employees. Operations manages all 8 transfer stations, 7 closed landfills, and 920 acre active landfill.
King County and The Solid Waste Division (SWD) values diverse perspectives and life experiences and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, and veterans.
WHO MAY APPLY:
This position is open to all qualified applicants. King County employees will be given first consideration.
FORMS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED:
Submit your applications online at http://www.kingcounty.gov/jobs by completing (1) a King County application form, (2) resume and (3) a letter of interest detailing your background and describing how your education and experience meets the qualifications and has prepared you to perform the essential functions of the job.
Applicants that possess the most competitive background in directly related experience, knowledge, and training may be called for interviews and skills test in Microsoft Office applications.
Primary location: Cedar Hills Landfill, 16645 228th Avenue SE, Maple Valley, WA. This position may require you to travel to different locations throughout the county to assist Operations management with training, meetings, clerical support, and other duties as assigned.
This full time position works a 40 hour work week, Monday through Friday. This position is overtime eligible. This position may be required to work extended and/or flexible hours to respond to service needs.
Jemima McMahon, Human Resources Analyst at 206-477-4002 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
OPERATIONS SECTION PROFILE:
The Operations Section of the Solid Waste Division operates a solid waste transfer and disposal system for residents and businesses in King County (except for Milton and Seattle). The operations section is responsible for the transfer facilities, transportation, maintenance shop (maintaining the division's heavy equipment, vehicles and facilities), landfill operations, landfill gas and wastewater. Commercial garbage collection companies and self-haulers (business and residential) bring solid waste to the transfer facilities, where it is located into large transfer trailers and hauled to the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill for disposal. At the landfill, a network of environmental controls ensures the by-products of the decomposing waste are captured and managed.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
- Produce a wide range of documents, including letters, reports, bulletins, internal communications, and special projects to comply with King County's Guidelines for Preparing Correspondence for Executive Signature and the King County Style Guide.
- Schedule, maintain, and track calendars for managers/supervisors, staff, conference rooms, and equipment.
- Provide technical support and assistance on use of office equipment, arranging for service and maintenance of equipment when necessary.
- Set up and coordinate internal, external, on- and off-site meetings.
- Inventory supplies and order and distribute; maintain MSDS binder as needed. Administer supply budget and process invoices.
- Support managers with responding to public records requests.
- Coordinate and format internet/intranet postings/mailings and format materials for posting/mailing; may post to intranet. Maintain procedures for intranet updates.
- Set up and maintain section files and library; administer archive protocol and archiving of materials to include following procedures for the destruction of documents.
- Maintain division policies and procedures – physical and electronic. Draft desk procedures and or task lists of duties as needed.
- Perform light mathematical calculations and process change money orders. Ability to compile data and spreadsheet information for reports and to produce Key Performance Indicators (KPI's).
- Sort and distribute mail, ensure distribution of agendas and other communications by e-mail, fax or by truck. Manage external mass mailings, and maintain Outlook, Excel, and Access lists and databases.
- Respond to inquiries through the Customer Response Management software tracking database, coordinate and do all logistics for tours on the hill and at the transfer stations. Greet visitors and direct them to locations necessary to meet their parties.
- Function as a member of the division's administrative team; participate in team projects as assigned. Cross train and back up other administrative staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THE MOST COMPETITIVE CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS:
- Experience in providing a variety of administrative support to multiple supervisors/managers and staff in a complex, multi-unionized, and industrial environment
- Excellent internal and external customer service skills
- Intermediate knowledge of software applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, and Adobe
- Ability to quickly learn proprietary software for fuel system and work orders
- Basic knowledge of SharePoint
- Demonstrated knowledge of office equipment, including laptops, projectors, digital cameras, copiers, printers, scanners, laminators, fax, and binding machines
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper English grammar, usage, and spelling
- Ability to multi-task with interruptions, prioritize tasks, and work under deadlines
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to compile data from various sources and produce reports and performance measurements
- Knowledge of lean concepts and process improvement
- Demonstrated knowledge of King County's Guidelines for Preparing Correspondence for Executive Signature and the King County Style Guide
- Working knowledge of the Solid Waste Division's programs and facilities
- Ability to lift 20+ lbs
- Standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time
- Bending, squatting, and reaching
Positions in this classification are represented by Teamsters, Local 117 Administrative Employees.