Position Title: Manager, Special Events
Reports to: Sr. Director, Special Events
Position Classification: Full-time, Exempt
The mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma (blood cancers), and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. As the world’s largest voluntary health agency, we offer free blood cancer information, education and support that reaches patients, survivors, families and healthcare professionals in their communities through our 61 chapters across the U.S. and Canada. We drive policies and fund researchers that accelerate the development and approval of new treatments and advocate for blood cancer survivors and their families, helping patients navigate their cancer treatments and ensuring they have access to quality, affordable and coordinated care.
The Manager of Special Events oversees the following campaign:
The Leukemia Cup Regatta Series (LCR) is a campaign for power boaters and sailors in the Chicago-land area. The Manager, Special Events supports their fundraising efforts and works with volunteer committees who plan several events during the summer. The following events are a part of the LCR campaign: Leukemia Cup Regatta, Leukemia Cup Poker Run, and Dock Dash.
- Implement organizational best practices with regard to recruiting and managing high level volunteers, revenue generation activities, expense and fiscal controls and marketing/promotions and logistics resulting in chapter revenue growth and achievement of revenue goals.
- Oversee all aspects of large fundraising campaign(s).
- Provide input into the development of a strategic plan for Leukemia Cup Regatta, including fundraising goals, budget recommendations, vendors, volunteer goals, timelines, etc.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Leukemia Cup Regatta, including fundraising efficiency (cost/expense), community engagement, event satisfaction, overall success of the campaign and suggest improvements.
- Ensure revenue goals are attained by partnering with chapter leadership to identify, recruit, manage and steward volunteer committees and fundraising campaign participants.
- Act as an on-site manager during the campaign fundraising event(s), overseeing activities, staff, vendors, and volunteers to ensure satisfaction of participants, and resolutions of problems.
- Develop positive volunteer interactions through recruitment, mentoring, and providing comprehensive support for volunteer leadership and participants to develop and achieve personal fundraising plans, while focusing on the mission of LLS.
- Identify, cultivate and lead campaign volunteers/donors/teams/participants by developing and implementing campaign appropriate strategies and relationship cultivation activities for successful recruitment, acknowledgement and retention of volunteers/donors/teams/participants
- Identify and network with corporations, community groups, yacht culbs, and key donors to engage their support of LLS fundraising campaign(s).
- Collaborate and partner on shared services department. Including logistics, marketing, volunteers and operations to ensure campaign standards are being met, and a high-level of event day experience is achieved.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the LLS's mission and programs to promote the Society's fundraising, research, and patient initiatives.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The Manager, Special Events may at times also support the other department campaigns, Man & Woman of the Year (MWOY) and Students of the Year (SOY) when help is needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Two to four years of experience in nonprofit event-based fundraising; committee leadership experience preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, resourceful and committed to excellence
- Professional demeanor
- Experienced in giving presentations to multiple audiences
- Capable of balancing multiple priorities effectively and meeting deadlines
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail
- Customer service driven
- Solid computer skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Flexibility to work several evenings and weekends (average 5-6 evenings and 1-2 weekend days per month).
Job Type: Full-time