***Please note that the State of California requires you to complete the Civil Service application process and applying on Indeed does not complete this process. If you would like to complete the application process, please click on Indeed's Apply button. Your phone number and resume will be sent to one of our specialized recruiters and they will contact you to discuss next steps.***
Are you interested in working for the State's largest law firm protecting and serving the people and interests of California? If so, we hope you consider applying for this exciting opportunity. As members of a legal support secretarial team, the successful applicants will perform legal secretarial duties for multiple attorneys/professional staff in the San Francisco Office of the Attorney General.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Typing, editing, printing, processing, faxing and electronically sending correspondence, court forms, legal documents and pleadings (e.g., petitions, briefs, opinions, notices, motions)
- Using various department supported software such as Word, West-Check, Legal Solutions, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, ProLaw and other desktop technology tools and communication devices
- Ensuring all documents are prepared, proofread, copied and filed/served in accordance with legal requirements and deadlines
- Verify case/legal citation and quoted text
- Maintain a calendar of document due dates and court appearances
- Set up and close legal cases, prepare subpoenas, schedule depositions, make travel arrangements
- Screen, answer and take messages from callers in a professional manner
- Assist with overflow work as requested
This opportunity would be perfect for individuals interested in a career which provides for upward mobility with extensive training, as well as the chance to work in a variety of legal fields such as, but not limited to, civil law, criminal law, and public rights.
- Two years of experience in a private law firm, corporate law office, or a legal program in a governmental agency performing a full range of legal secretarial duties, which requires the preparation of legal documents for filing and service, OR
- Completion of a certificated legal secretarial program and one year of experience.
Senior Legal Typist:
- One year of experience in typing and clerical work, at least six months of which shall have been in work of a legal nature requiring the preparation of legal correspondence, petitions, briefs, motions, depositions, and various legal notices and forms, OR
- Completion of a certificated legal secretarial program.
Legal Secretary Classification ($4,631 - $5,010/month).
Senior Legal Typist Classification ($3,949-$4,540/month).
**Benefits of working for the State of California**
- Work-life balance (40 hours/week)
- 11 paid holidays
- Flexible paid leave options
- Consistent wage increases
- Pension retirement
- Job Stability
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Student Loan Forgiveness
- And more!
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $3,949.00 - $5,010.00 per month
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- San Francisco, CA 94102: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Legal: 1 year (Preferred)
- Paralegal/Legal Secretary Certificate (Preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in San Francisco, CA 94102