Full Job Description
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Red Theater Chicago is seeking a candidate to join its newly formed leadership team. This person will be an integral part of the refocusing of the mission of a theater company with a proven record of artistic success. The ideal candidate will be excited to take on ownership of the direction the company is moving and have a desire to be a key leader among a small group of close collaborators. Red Theater will be making all efforts to connect with interested BIPOC applicants.
Responsible for planning, development and implementation of all of Red Theater’s executive strategies, company leadership, and managerial direction. Overall responsibilities include maximizing earned and contributed revenue, cultivating community relationships, continuing to build the company’s reputation as a cultural leader in the region. Collaborates with Artistic Director, Associate Artistic Director, the Board of Directors, and staff to achieve best business practices and communicates the theater’s institutional vision. Manages all day-to-day financial tracking and decisions, as well as year-long financial commitments.
JOB ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Managing all human resources.
Oversees hiring, training, and managing of administrative staff including but not limited to: Producers, Marketing Manager, Development Director, Accessibility Director, and Audience Services Manager. When a position is not filled, the Executive Director alongside Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director assumes the duties of those positions.
Assist in drafting and practicing anti-racist policies, under the guidance of BIPOC activism and the Chicago Theatre Standards.
Negotiates all contracts and agreements, along with the Production Manager (for designers) and Producers (for all others).
Coordinates all company meetings, along with Artistic Director, Associate Artistic Director, and Production Manager.
Oversees interns and volunteers, as needed.
2. Acts as liaison from the Board of Directors to staff and vice versa.
Attends Boards meetings to communicate all financial decisions and staff information.
Makes policy recommendations, as needed.
Provides avenues for board participation, along with the Board President.
3. Space Management, including but not limited to securing performance and rehearsal location for the season and negotiating all related contracts.
4. Attend rehearsals and performances, meeting artists and staff to best understand the artistic choices behind the season and how best to represent them meaningfully to donors and corporations.
5. Attending community events and acting as a representative and advocate for Red Theater.
Planning and budgeting
1. Responsible for day-to-day budgeting tracking including managing the Chase Bank Account and Paypal account and tracking spending and revenue in QuickBooks.
2. Creates a season budget in coordination with the Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director to present to the Board for approval.
Responsible for tracking all actuals for tracking and reporting after each production, in coordination with the Production Manager
3. Responsible for creating all financial reports for grant applications.
4. Responsible for all federal and state paperwork filing, including but not limited to the IRS 990 and the Attorney General 990, which are filed at the end of each fiscal year.
5. Oversees all donor activity and issues appropriate tax acknowledgment paperwork in coordination with OvationTix CMS.
6. Advise Artistic Director and Associate Director in decisions regarding season programming.
7. Recommend short- and long-term Organization goals and objectives as they pertain to the overall image and brand of the Organization.
8. Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the company function.
1. The Executive Director may be asked to act as Producer on one or several of the productions in the season. As such, the Producer will ensure the success of the production by overseeing all personnel and distributing duties as needed amongst those hired.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and serves as a member of the senior management team. The Executive Director works with senior management, other staff and volunteers to develop and maintain a strategic perspective in organizational direction, programs and services, grant-writing, decision-making, and to ensure the overall health and vitality of the Organization.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter introducing themselves and describing their interest in joining the Red Theater team, a resume, and two personal references to email@example.com.