Entry-level Direct Care position responsible for the supervision of clients (10 to 17 years) in a residential program.
- Acts as first line role model for clients demonstrating, through word and actions appropriate behaviors and social interactions utilizing the Youth Development System
- Performs tasks including but not limited to facility maintenance; food service including shopping, preparation and cooking; supervision of clients on field trips and during daily activities and timely record keeping responsibilities, as directed
- Requires a low level of autonomy under the continual supervision of the Youth Development Team Leader
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to arrive/report to work on time and ready to work
- Ability to abide by principles of EEO compliance and a workplace of dignity and respect
- Ability to work cooperatively in a group/team setting
- Ability to show respect to clients, client families, community providers, community partners and peers
- Ability to take guidance and direction from supervisors
- Ability to abide by core values, mission statement and policies and procedures of the agency
Specific job responsibilities and goals include but are not limited to:
- Utilize the Youth Development System to effectually identify key areas of development for each youth in coordination with the shelter counselors, youth development team leader, and director.
- Provide direct supervision for residents under the direction of the Residential Supervisor. This includes scheduling and assigning chores, directly and actively showing residents how to do chores and working with residents to complete tasks as assigned as outlined in the Youth Development System with an emphasis on the outcome achieved by completing these tasks.
- Ensure that house and property are clean, neat and safe for residents at all times and directly perform all appropriate related tasks. It is the responsibility of all staff to maintain a culture of cleanliness which includes specific cleaning duties as assigned and/or general cleaning when there is down time during a shift.
- Report any unusual behavior, which could indicate other problems. It is expected that staff will utilize crisis intervention techniques with an emphasis on being proactive in addressing potential conflict and not allowing behaviors to escalate.
- Maintain order and discipline among residents. This includes assigning appropriate consequences for unacceptable behavior and once trained, using acceptable Crisis Intervention techniques as appropriate.
- Monitor residents’ whereabouts to be sure they stay on the property. Notify law enforcement and guardian when residents leave the property without authorization.
- Lead group discussions with residents as outlined in the Youth Development System.
- Plan recreational activities for residents and participate when appropriate. Staff will be responsible for ensuring that activities align with the development themes outlined in the Youth Development System.
- Complete monitoring notes, runaway and incident reports, and client case records for residents.
- Complete clerical aspects of intake process for new residents.
- If over 21 years of age with appropriate clearance and under the direction of the Residential Supervisor, transport residents as appropriate and required.
- Ensure that house and property are clean, neat and safe for residents at all times and directly perform all appropriate related tasks.
- Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or leadership.
- Trained and authorized to access protected health information.
Education & Experience High School Diploma or GED required, AA preferred; 2+ years of direct work experience with adolescents preferred. Work experience in a Residential setting a plus. Florida driver’s license and clean DMV record required.
Requires a high degree of physical activity including the ability to run, jump, bend, and stand for significant time periods (2+ hours), lift and carry 50+ pounds. The ability to travel on a regional basis as needed for training and transport.