Enterprise Systems (ES) is unit within the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. Enterprise Systems supports the mission of the university by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems that provide critical information services for university constituents.
The BI Engineer will be responsible for administering enterprise level reporting solutions, such as Microstrategy, that deliver the needs of our technology and business partners. This position will be the primary administrator of Microstrategy, a mission critical operational reporting solution. Additionally, this position will be a key contributor in the architecture of different reporting solutions, as well as support for Tableau, SAS, and other reporting tools.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Information Technology, Computer Science, Information Systems or related field or equivalent training and/or experience
- Exposure to Microstrategy
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Demonstrated skills in working effectively in a team environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- A commitment to best practices with ability to define operational processes, deployment checklists, and more
- Exposure to administering AWS based solutions. In particular Microstrategy on AWS
- Experience with extract, transform and load (ETL) technologies such as DataStage or Talend
- Experience with supporting solutions running in a Docker environment
- Exposure to data lakes, NoSQL and unstructured data
- Experience with bash and/or Python scripting
- Experience with Unix/Linux
Must have a conviction check: Yes Describe Other: Employment Comments: How to Apply for this Job:
Administrative and Professional Faculty Appointment Type: Regular If restricted or temporary, enter end date: FLSA Status: Exempt: Not eligible for overtime Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track Academic Year or Calendar Year: Calendar Year Percent Employment: Full-time If part time, enter Percent Time: Pay Range: Commensurate with Experience Location: Blacksburg Department: Enterprise Systems Management Location, if not Blacksburg: Location Zip Code: 24061 Work Schedule: 8-5 M-F Job Posting Date: 10/02/2018 Review Begin Date: 10/15/2018 Job Close Date: Restricted to university employees only? No Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.