DonorsChoose.org engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip ( https://www.donorschoose.org/blog/welcome-to-donorschoose/ ), board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 3 million "citizen philanthropists" have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose.org, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 31 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies ( http://www.fastcompany.com/3025597/donorschoose-hot-for-teacher ).
Through its dedicated team ( http://www.donorschoose.org/about/meet_the_team.html ) and culture, DonorsChoose.org earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
The People Operations Team works to make every staff member's experience is both rewarding and productive, while fostering our innovative and mission-driven culture. We provide user-focused solutions for all benefits, recruitment, onboarding, employee relations, and professional development needs. We also create and maintain workspaces that are inviting, functional, comfortable, and equipped with best-in-class technology to support our awesome teams in New York City, San Francisco, and throughout the country.
If you are motivated by our mission and excited to join a team that works hard everyday to make a difference, we want to hear from you!
DonorsChoose.org is seeking a high-capacity part-time Office Experience Assistant to oversee the management of our San Francisco office. This role will be responsible for:
This position might be for you if:
- Office administration: Greeting guests, receiving packages, sorting and sending mail, replenishing supplies, and handling many day-to-day facilities responsibilities (i.e. brewing morning coffee, stowing dishes, and disposing of refuse).
- Vendor management: Foster strong working relationships with vendors and extended staff ranging from our building management, couriers, cleaning and repair crews to our IT/equipment technicians.
- Office upkeep: Proactively address facilities issues and opportunities, to ensure our staff are able to focus on their core responsibilities and have all they need to do their jobs.
- IT support: Partnering with our New York based IT Manager to troubleshoot basic phone, data, and other IT issues in our San Francisco office as they arise.
- Event planning: join the DonorsChoose.org social committee; and plan and execute social gatherings for the San Francisco office.
- You are passionate about the DonorsChoose.org mission, and are motivated to work part-time for a startup-style nonprofit organization like ours.
- You have experience wearing multiple hats, can prioritize a fast-paced workload, you stay on top of your to-do list, and you don't miss deadlines. There's an urgency about you that helps you move quickly to drive tasks forward.
- You are comfortable managing external relationships like those with our landlord, cleaning company, IT vendor, etc.
- You are a self-starter, proactive, and take total responsibility for the success of your projects.
- You are a clear, frequent, and proactive communicator: you keep your stakeholders in the loop about unexpected changes, new policies, and other updates that might affect them.
- You are a quick learner and naturally a bit techy; experience troubleshooting office telephones, basic IT issues, and working with IT vendors highly preferred.
This role requires:
- At least one year of work experience, preferably in an office-based role.
- Experience working on complex projects with little supervision.
- Proven experience managing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Engaging, clear, and direct oral and written communication skills with an eye toward audience.
- An ability to easily learn new technologies.
- Hours: 20-25 hours/week
- Days: 3-5 weekdays; If needed, you're open to switching up your schedule to accommodate vendors and other unforeseen – but important – requests from our team
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Compensation: $18-20/hour based on skills and experience
We value teamwork, office culture, and professional development. Our part-time staff are encouraged to attend events like our monthly All Hands meeting, in-office education events, and social gatherings.
Submit your resume and a cover letter addressed to Dylan Lunney, Manager, Office Experience.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.