From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and help more people discover value right where they are.
At a Glance
- 85+ Million Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
OfferUp is looking for an experienced Staff DevOps / System Engineer to join a team of highly motivated Engineers working on infrastructure deployment at scale. Be part of the team that solves infrastructure deployment issues with software, delivers high velocity and high-quality infrastructure in multiple cloud providers.
In This Role
- You are strong in solving Infrastructure related problems with code and you've mastered building compute capacity in a fast-paced environment. You will be responsible for leading key projects in design, development, and post-release support of the tools that are used by a variety of internal teams at OfferUp
- You are part of the team which owns capacity builds, New microservice rollout, tools development to solve build issues
- You will get a chance to understand how things work with a large-scale production infrastructure with tons of servers across numerous cloud providers
- You will drive the automation efforts in Python/Java to eliminate manual work involved in building clusters, performing releases and other operational work
- You will develop plugins to monitor applications and implement self-healing mechanisms to auto-recover from outages
- You will write Pipelines in Jenkins and Spinnaker to build, configure and tune systems for resiliency and performance
- You will get a chance to improve your communication and collaboration skills working with various other teams across OfferUp
- You will be interacting with a highly innovative and creative team of developers, open-source committers and architects
- You will evaluate new technologies to solve problems as needed, and also play a significant role in architectural direction
- Technical leadership and guidance around large scale plans and projects
- Provide guidance on standard design patterns for infrastructure and applications
- Mentoring other engineers
- Be seen internally as a thought leader
- Advocate new technologies
- Strong working experience with Linux Systems Administration and Troubleshooting. Strong knowledge of Linux internals
- Good experience in any of the scripting/programming languages: Shell, Perl, Python, etc.
- Strong knowledge of networking protocols and components: TCP/IP Stack, Switches, Routers, Load Balancers
- Experience or solid interest in maintaining a highly available service on production scale
- Experience with Docker, AWS, GCP, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Spinnaker
- Experience in any of the monitoring tools like Graphana, Graphite, Zabbix, etc.,
- Experience working with any of: Java Applications (JVM), Apache, Mysql, Postgresql, Kerberos, LDAP, Tomcat, Jetty, MongoDB, etc.,
- A continuous learner and a critical thinker
- A team player with great communication skills
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
Nice To Haves
- Experience in managing large scale web applications in production
- Experience in working with any of the build tools like Jenkins, maven, git, etc.,
- Knowledge of big data technologies
How We Work
- We strive to make the world a better place
- We empower people to bring the best out of them.
- We believe in trust, customer success, innovation, giving back, equality for all, wellness, transparency and fun
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally...Come do work that matters. join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.