Dulles - Sterling, VA
Who we are:
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they want—whether that means helping them make college happen, or something more. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills—you’re in the right place.
What You'll Contribute:
The Senior Paralegal - Litigation will provide a high level of legal support to attorneys/staff by monitoring the Company’s litigation docket (primarily consumer protection claims such as TCPA, FCRA, FDCPA, and employment claims), conducting case-related research, compiling relevant business records as needed for investigation and discovery, and managing the litigation hold program. They will organize and maintain all litigation pleadings and relevant business records in SharePoint. They will work closely with the attorneys in monthly and quarterly reporting on the litigation docket for internal business clients and others. They will work with the Risk Mitigation team on all things e-discovery; track insurance claims as appropriate; and be a resource for our Office of the Customer Advocate, subpoena team, and bankruptcy team. This position assists with service of process issues, fact investigation, and subpoenas or investigations from regulators or government agencies. This position provides testing and support for Sarbanes Oxley and the internal controls of the Legal Department.
The Senior Paralegal – Litigation will also regularly interact with other paralegals and attorneys in the Legal Department, internal business clients, and outside counsel at law firms to ensure all matters are properly routed and handled.
The Senior Paralegal – Litigation will also provide high level legal support to attorneys/staff on special projects as they arise. This position provides legal support to the in-house employment lawyer in her role providing daily legal advice to our business clients, including the Human Resources department.
The ideal candidate will have excellent problem-solving, organizational, writing and communications skills, and be able to work well independently as well as in a team environment.
What You'll Do:
55% - Support attorneys through every step of civil litigation and government investigations through fact investigation and legal research; manage docket and case-related deadlines; support outside counsel as needed.
15% - Support Risk Mitigation team in various forms of reporting on the docket (monthly litigation reports, etc.).
15% - Manage litigation hold process as directed by attorneys and support all e-discovery efforts.
15% - Support attorneys on other special projects, including Sarbanes Oxley, and Legal Department internal controls.
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree or completion of Certified Legal Assistant examination.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Paralegal with solid base knowledge of civil litigation.
- Strong familiarity with corporate structure and procedures.
- Proficient in legal research and writing
- Thorough knowledge of legal principles, legal terminology, and legal research techniques
- Relevant computer knowledge and experience, including word processing, spreadsheets, document management, electronic mail and programs, including Word, Excel, Adobe, PowerPoint, Legal Tracker, PACER, Skype and SharePoint
- Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Skilled, self-starter who can work independently and creatively to drive positive change
- High energy and positive attitude, consummate team player
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- High level of resourcefulness to respond promptly and accurately to inquiries
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and to exercise judgment and discretion
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Ability to collaborate with team members and risk partners
- Ability to anticipate issues and proactively problem solve
- High level of initiative to work without close supervision and maintain high productivity
- Professional etiquette and demeanor
- High degree of flexibility to handle multiple tasks while dealing with constant interruptions
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and under tight deadlines
- Ability to achieve goals in a performance-driven environment
What You'll Get at Sallie Mae:
- Experience supporting legal professionals in/at trial
- Experience with employment litigation and/or consumer protection laws such as Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Experience with class action litigation
- Experience with large government investigations
- Experience in-house at a corporate law department (in addition to law firm experience)
- Experience working at a bank or financial services company
- Experience with MS Office, Excel, SharePoint, Adobe, Legal Tracker, PACER, Lexis/Nexis
Comprehensive Compensation and Healthcare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision plans)
401(k) company match, employee stock purchase plan, and basic life insurance and short-term disability are provided to employees at no cost
Paid time off, time off to volunteer, and tuition reimbursement. In addition, after 6 months of employment, primary caregivers receive 12 weeks of 100% fully paid time off and secondary caregivers are eligible for 4 weeks of 100% fully paid time off, for birth or adoption
Fitness centers/gym subsidies, free Fitbits with step challenges, and wellness education