Description: The Patient Access Representative (PAR) greets patients and performs patient access functions to expedite patient flow and enhance the patient experience. The PAR is responsible for the registration of all patients’ accessing services at JPS Health Network with emphasis on patient access/satisfaction, insurance/demographic verification and accuracy, and point of service collection, while maintaining confidentiality, professionalism and ethics continuously. Typical Duties:
Greets and directs patients and visitors in person and over the phone utilizing AIDET principles. Provides information regarding services, JPS location information and additional assistance as required.
Accurately identifies patient and registers JPS patients while maintaining regulatory and functional knowledge of all information required to register patient types in database which ensures timely & accurate reporting/billing.
Explains and secures consent for all registration forms including general consent forms, MSPQ, notice of privacy practices, patient rights and responsibilities, MyChart enrollment etc.
Distributes patient related materials and obtains patient or authorized representative’s signature on all insurance waivers and other financial forms such as Estimate Letters as applicable.
Collects patient owed cost sharing amounts (copays, deductibles, coinsurance, full costs [non-covered/self-pay]) in accordance with Standard Operating Procedure as well as referring patients to Enrollment and Eligibility, when applicable. Reconciles cash drawer at end of shift.
Acquires precertification status on all applicable services, such as in-office procedures, Inpatient/Outpatient Surgeries, Outpatient Radiology & Cardiology Tests, and/or Physician Services, or Pharmacy Services.
Utilizes insurance verification tools to accurately verify patients’ insurance/financial information and maintains error rate in accordance with Standard Operating Procedure.
Coordinates and schedules appointments, selects appropriate referral, provider, visit type and location to expedite patient access to care, minimizes “no shows” and maximizes reimbursement.
Maintains daily Epic work queue, quality assurance, and established productivity levels with minimal errors (i.e. daily in-basket review, telephone encounters, reporting, and cash balancing).
Provides the highest quality of care to our patients by complying with JPS Health Network’s attendance and punctuality procedure. May be required to work beyond normal scheduled shifts.
Attends all mandatory educational, compliance and safety program sessions.
Assists in staff training of peers, colleagues and management, as applicable or requested.
Demonstrates the importance of satisfying the needs of the patient/customer by friendly and caring interactions, being attentive to the customer’s needs, and by taking the initiative to maintain communication with the customer in order to provide a secure and pleasant experience throughout JPS Health Network.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- 1 plus year of experience using Microsoft Professional Office Suite including, Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Preferred Education and Experience:
- 1 plus year of experience in a Patient Access/Patient Accounting role.
- Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- Patient Access – General Consent Orientation and Patient Financial Experience Training if assigned to Patient Access ED, Patient Access Urgent Care, Patient Access Specialty, Business Services JSCA, Main Admissions & Auths., and Patient Access Women’s Health (must be completed 30 days subsequent to hire).
- Preferred Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA).
- Bilingual in Spanish, Vietnamese, Arabic or other language.