APPLICATION PROCEDURES: To be considered for an interview, applicants must apply online at https://www.edjoin.org/Home/DistrictJobPosting/1267028 by January 29, 2020.
EXCELLENT FRINGE BENEFITS with District-paid premiums which includes medical, dental, life, vision, long term-disability, and CalPERS retirement.
WORK YEAR: 12 months; 15 holidays
WORK HOURS: 37.5 Hours per week; 7.5 Hours per day
Please visit http://www.smuhsd.orgfor more information (ref. Human Resources-Job Posting-Management- Posting#2956).
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for procurement functions, logistics and mail processes for San Mateo Union High School District. With delegated procurement authority, this position authorizes expenditures, negotiates and completes contracts and approves reimbursement. Work is performed consistent with the State of California and Federal regulations. This position expedites orders and troubleshoots related problems, prepares bid specifications, documents and contracts. The incumbent will use best practices and principles in all aspects of purchasing, including contract management and negotiating for competitive pricing. Perform other related duties as assigned.
CLASS CHARACTERISCTIS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee procurement, logistics functions while ensuring compliance with the District policy, state, local and Federal regulations.
- Champion best practice for procurement, overseeing reports, analyzing current practices and predicting trends.
- Authorize expenditures, negotiate and complete contracts and approve reimbursements while ensuring that all required goods, services and equipment are obtained in the most cost effective and timely manner. Resolve disputes and assist with interpretation of procurement related legal issues.
- Assist in developing and implementing goals, policies, procedures and work standards for purchasing and provide policy training to District staff; monitor developments related to purchasing matters to support ongoing quality improvement initiatives.
- Develop lists of vendors and supply sources. Update, maintain and review vendor files for valid tax information, eliminate duplicate records, and merge files when appropriate; update, maintain and review vendor data base.
- Develop and issue Request for Quotes, Request for Proposal, personal and client service contracts, procurement contracts and purchase orders. Coordinate with administrators or authorized personnel to ensure that incentive discounts are received.
- Prepare legal advertisements, provide bid packages to interested vendors, analyze bids received and recommend award.
- Work with the Accounts Payable Department ensuring proper payment of purchases. Develop strong relationships with users and review deviations from normal procedures.
- Oversee service contracts such as copier maintenance agreements and programs for credit cards to ensure contracted services comply with contract requirements; evaluate and review contracts on a continuing basis to ensure financial and functional requirements are met.
- Evaluate the effect of procurement activity and the impact it may have on instruction, student and administrative requirements as well as on existing union contracts all while ensuring compliance with all labor, public works, prevailing wage and consumer price index requirements.
- Develop purchasing procedures from securing quotes to closing orders.
- Oversee sale of District surplus and obsolete supplies and equipment.
- Ensure public purchasing practices are followed, including competitive bidding procedures.
- Maintain ongoing knowledge of applicable laws and regulations including the Public Contact Codes and Educational Codes to assure procurement function is performed within these limits and must demonstrate personal and professional integrity and ethical conduct.
- Develop and implement procurement quality assurance systems and programs for procurement.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures providing metrics.
- Serve as subject matter expert and security gateway for the procurement and physical inventory modules.
- Train, schedule, evaluate and recommend selection and disciplinary purchasing logistic.
- Develop and maintain quality suppliers and discuss any material and equipment needs with sites and departments.
- Act as a liaison with other State agencies on procurement issues. Regularly attend proper Purchasing association meetings to keep current on industry standards.
- Validate budgets.
- Coordinate moves.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Accounting or a related field plus Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM).
- Five years related experience.
- Knowledge of municipal purchasing laws and regulations.
KNOWLEDGE OF/ABILITY TO:
- Exercise sound judgement with procedural and policy guidelines.
- Provide customer service.
- Ability to take initiative to complete duties proactively and work under varying deadlines.
- Ability to analyze systems and make recommendations.
- Ability to analyze contracts/operations and develop monitoring programs to support ongoing quality improvement initiatives.
- Knowledge of budgets and financial systems and management practices.
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Stamina sufficient to sit, stand or walk for long periods of time.
- Vision sufficient to read fine printed materials and computer-generated information and data, as well as computer terminal displays.
- Hearing sufficient to hear conversation in person and on the telephone.
- Speech sufficient to speak in an understandable voice.
- Manual dexterity and coordination sufficient to write legibly and to use standard office equipment and supplies, and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holder (binders, manuals, etc.).
- Stamina to lift, reach with hands and arms, bend and grasp in order to file and retrieve materials.
- Move, lift and/or carry up to 30 pounds.
The San Mateo Union High School District (SMUHSD) is a community funded district with approximately 8,500 students. SMUHSD is situated in central San Mateo County between San Francisco and the Silicon Valley.
The District encompasses six communities, San Bruno, Millbrae, Burlingame, Hillsborough, Foster City, and San Mateo, and has six comprehensive high schools: Aragon, Burlingame, Capuchino (International Baccalaureate school), Hillsdale (Smaller Learning Communities school), Mills, and San Mateo. The District has an API over 800 and all schools are in Newsweek Magazine's Top 1000 High Schools. In addition, the District has Peninsula Alternative High School, an Alternative School of Choice, Middle College High School, and an Adult School serving 10,500 students. The District enjoys strong parent and community support as evidenced in three major bond measures passed in 2000, 2006, and 2010 ($621.5 million) for new construction and modernization.
More About SMUHSD
The San Mateo Union High School District, in existence for more than 110 years, continues to be a vital community academic and cultural resource. With an annual operating budget that is funded primarily through local property taxes, it provides education to a diverse range of approximately 8,500 students attending six highly-rated comprehensive high schools, a special Middle College program in conjunction with the College of San Mateo, an alternative high school where students voluntarily recover credits, and a robust Adult School Program. The District has graduated an estimated 130,000 young people since its founding in 1902. To learn more about the SMUHSD, visit www.smuhsd.org or find us on facebook and twitter @SMUHSD.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $42.37 to $51.50 /hour
- Purchasing: 5 years (Preferred)
- Certified Purchasing Manager (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance