Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:
OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Data Science Developer within our Data Management and Analytics Systems based in Houston, Texas.
As a Data Science Developer, you will be responsible for the development of business intelligence (BI) solutions using enterprise data models, data science concepts/algorithms, data architectures/classifications, and the evaluation and implementation of modern data science platforms. This position will work closely with the Data Management & Analytics team to operationalize data science algorithms. Candidate should be able to make changes to the algorithm, optimize algorithms to work on specific platforms, add data connectors to relational databases, and enhance algorithms to be used as part of a Visualization Tool. As a Data Science Developer, you will solve complex technical problems, optimize the performance of enterprise business intelligence tools and troubleshoot problems. You will also be leading all phases of conceptualization, design, development, and testing.
Other duties include:
- Monitor trends and determine impacts of data science related technologies and techniques.
- Formulate and facilitate data science and analytics strategies and reference architectures.
- Lead data science and analytics projects involving new technologies, including POCs and pilots.
- Present strategies, architectures, and recommendations to senior IT and business management.
- Work directly with industry vendors and our Strategic Planning team to capture and shape vendor strategies and roadmaps.
- Demonstrate new data science technologies and facilitate implementation into the organization.
- Mentor other IT roles as well as business users on data science related technologies, techniques, and standards.
- Work with Enterprise Architects on Strategies and data related standards and patterns.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience
- Knowledge of data analysis, data preparation, data verification, and software development concepts.
- Strong Data Science skills.
- Strong background of Python in a Windows/UNIX/Linux environment.
- Strong exposure to Data Visualization tools like Spotfire, Tableau, Power BI, or Qlikview
- Strong knowledge of Oracle (SQL and PL/SQL), Microsoft SQL Server (SQL and T-SQL) and competency with related BI stack tools (DTS, SSIS, and SSAS).
- Strong knowledge of databases, and data warehouse structures
- Basic knowledge of GIS and Mapping systems.
- Soft Skills: Problem solver, Results/Task oriented, Proactive, Self-starter.
- Presentation skills: Clear and fluent communicator. Able to discuss project issues/topics with users, present status orally and written, present Demos / POCs
- Multi-tasking: Ability to work on several projects at the same time as well as development and production support
- Oil and Gas industry expertise.
- Experience with No-Sql
- Big Data / Hadoop experience
- Some project management experience
- Application development on the .Net platform
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status