Are you seeking a career path, competitive pay and great benefits? Become a Corrections Officer with the Minnesota Department of Corrections (MN DOC)! No corrections experience is necessary—we will train you to maintain security, supervise offender activities, and promote offender change within one of the state’s correctional facilities! The training includes a two-week academy program in St. Paul, and four weeks of training at the Minnesota Correctional Facility where you will work. You will be prepared, confident, and ready to excel at this rewarding line of work.
The Corrections Officers in the department are responsible for providing a controlled setting which ensures a safe and secure environment for people who either work, visit, or reside within the correctional facility. To incorporate an integrated approach to offender/resident management and programming that engages offenders/residents in a process of change. To engage offenders/residents in the transition process from the point of intake through the incarceration period which prepares the offender/resident for successful release in to the community.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Ensure the safety, security and control of the institution.
- Provide supervision of offenders/residents ensuring the environment encourages positive behavior and prepares offenders/residents for a successful transition upon release.
- Give and receive written and/or oral information in a clear, understandable, accurate, timely and dependable manner, so that information can be evaluated, sound decisions are made and appropriate action is initiated.
- To be competent in the use of all equipment ensuring they are operated in an efficient and safe manner. This includes, but is not limited to, security, electrical, mechanical equipment and electronics.
- Prepare for and respond to any unusual or emergency situations utilizing the appropriate Incident Command System (ICS) procedures ensuring the safety, accountability, welfare and security of the general public, institution, on-site personnel and offenders/residents.
- Follow all agency policies, state statutes, and statewide policies. Support the Vision, Mission, Values, Goals and initiatives of the DOC.
After successful completion of the paid, six-week training program, you will become a Corrections Officer 1 with a salary range of $17.90 to $21.25 per hour ($37,375 to $44,370 per year). After one year you will be eligible to become a Corrections Officer 2 with a salary range of $19.53 to $27.23 per hour ($40,779 to $58,944 per year).
Applicants will take the REACT test—a national test that ensures you are a good candidate to work with offenders, complete an interview, and pass a background check. If a position is offered, you will also be asked to complete a pre-placement physical.
Eligible candidates will be placed on a list to fill future Trainee-Corrections Officer vacancies at a Minnesota Correctional Facility in Faribault, Lino Lakes, Oak Park Heights, Red Wing, Rush City, Shakopee, St. Cloud, Stillwater, Togo and Willow River/Moose Lake. Qualified applicants will remain on the eligible list for a period of at least one year.
To qualify for further consideration and assessment, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age to work at an adult facility. Must be 21 years or older to work at a juvenile facility (MCF-Red Wing) unless enrolled or have completed course work in a post-secondary education program to pursue a degree in a behavioral science; AND
- Possess a high school diploma or GED; AND
- Be able to pass a criminal history background check, which will be conducted prior to hire. In order to pass, you must have successfully completed all sentencing and/or restitution requirements of law enforcement jurisdictions, including probation; AND
- Be able to possess a firearm.
In addition, you must possess at least ONE of the following in order to qualify:
- Completion of an Associate degree in Corrections, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Law, Law Enforcement, Psychology, Counseling, Counseling Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, or a Human Services related field with an emphasis in corrections/criminal justice; OR
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree in ANY field from an accredited college/university; OR
- One or more years of full-time work experience in ANY field (NOTE: the work experience does NOT have to be in Corrections); OR
- Two or more years of part-time (at least 20 hours per week) work experience in ANY field (NOTE: the work experience does NOT have to be in Corrections); OR
- Honorable discharge from active military duty in any branch of the United States' Armed Forces; OR
- Current member in good standing in any branch of the United States' Armed Forces; OR
- Successful completion of an internship in a Minnesota Correctional Facility in a related security area.
Click to apply today! https://lnkd.in/eXCvMCD
OR Visit State of Minnesota career page at https://mn.gov/careers and search for job ID # 24766
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $17.90 to $21.25 /hour
- High school or equivalent (Required)