Do you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment?
Do you have a passion for cloud and virtualization technologies?
Are you a continuous learner, organized, and enjoy working in a collaborative team environment?
Are you ready to use your skills to help solve problems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a Cloud Engineer to provide leadership and direction for a platform providing virtualized GPU-enabled artificial intelligence compute for advanced research.
In this role the Cloud Engineer...
- Provides architectural expertise, direction and assistance to developers, data engineers, data scientists, system administrators and managers
- Sets technical direction by evaluating related and emerging technologies to identify new capabilities for enterprise use
- Implements & documents technical solutions, operational procedures and user guidance
- Provisions, monitors, and maintains the compute platform
You'll meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Hold a Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent years of related professional work experience
- Demonstrated ability to investigate and resolve moderately complex problems using current job knowledge, research data and external resources
Possess excellent interpersonal skills and be able to effectively interact with sponsors, management, and working group team members in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated solid communication and listening skills within a collaborative team environment
- Ambitious to learn, effectively plan and organize work, seek and share knowledge on a continuous basis.
- Five (5) years of experience in Linux administration, particularly RedHat or Ubuntu
- Experience with one or more of the following: Bash, PowerShell, Python, Ruby and/or Perl
- Experience with Deep Learning frameworks and hardware accelerators (e.g. GPU and FPGA)
- Proficiency with automating infrastructure in the cloud.
- Experience with automation tools such as Python, AWS or Terraform.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure
- Ability to maintain code using subversion
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You go above and beyond if you have...
Special Working Conditions:
- A Master's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field
- Experience using container-based orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes) and run-time environments (e.g. Docker)
- Three (3) years' experience installing, configuring, and deploying Openstack components and hypervisors
- Experience securing Unix and cloud native applications
- Knowledge ofVMWare hypervisor and network virtualization
- Knowledge of distributed computing and big data architectures (e.g. Hadoop, Spark)
- Knowledge of Agile and DevOps processes
- Occasional weekend and other after-hours work may be required to handle and/or complete critical work to meet APL's business needs
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.