South Middlesex Opportunity Council (SMOC), headquartered in Framingham, MA is a multi service organization that works in the community organizing resources for social change & economic independence. Our four main areas of programming include: Behavioral Health Services, Comprehensive Housing Services, Employment and Education, and Family & Nutrition.
“To improve the quality of life of low-income and disadvantaged individuals and families by advocating for their needs and rights; providing services; educating the community; building a community of support; participating in coalitions with other advocates and searching for new resources and partnerships”.
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits package and an exceptional time off program. We believe in quality of life for all individuals including our employees.
Perform a variety of accounting functions including reconciling various general ledger accounts in preparation of annual audit. Maintain various accounting schedules including fixed assets and mortgages.
- Work within SMOC’s Housing Business Office to review and report financial data to program managers, division directors and SMOC’s CFO.
- Responsible for monthly recording of rent revenue and recurring expenditures.
- Reconciles assigned general ledger accounts on a monthly/quarterly basis.
- Prepare and post monthly adjusting journal entries that are necessary and approved related to general ledger reconciliations.
- Maintain Fixed Asset Schedules and calculate monthly depreciation and amortization expense.
- Responsible to interact with insurance agents with regard to property, general liability and other insurance issues, matters and claims.
- Oversee automotive fleet, maintaining schedule of owned and leased vehicles and work with management in the negotiations for acquisitions and disposals.
- Generate accurate, complete and timely reports on request.
- Prepare schedules and analysis for year end audit.
- Engage and service all internal customers and clients by understanding and addressing their needs.
- Ensure compliance with program/department, agency and/or funder requirements, as well as, SMOC policies & procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- BS/BA in accounting or related finance field;
- Minimum 3-5 years accounting experience; non-profit accounting experienced preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word and Windows.
- Knowledge of Abila MIP (formally SAGE) Accounting Software and RealPage Property Management Software or other non-profit accounting software experience helpful.
- Must possess strong communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Results driven, strong detail orientation & comfortable with change
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Directly reports to Chief Financial Officer.
- Direct reports of this position are none.
- Ability to calculate numbers and interpret data.
- Ability to read, write and enter data into a computer.
As part of the responsibilities of this position, the Staff Accountant will have direct or incidental contact with clients served by SMOC in various programs funded or administered through the Executive Office of Health and Human Services. A successful background check is required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 3 years (Preferred)