The Estimator is responsible for the development of accurate project cost estimates and suggested ‘retail’ pricing consistent with the pricing policies of HBP.
The Estimator develops project cost estimates for printing, finishing, and binding books, periodicals, pamphlets, and other printed matter based on specifications outlined on Request for Quotation and sales orders submitted by customers, prospective customers, salespeople, and Customer Service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluates customer specifications and needs, including sketches, artwork, prior printed pieces, mock-ups, and sample layouts in paper and electronic form.
- Estimates labor and material cost using estimating software applications, as well as required production times for all phases of the printing and binding process, considering factors such as size and number of units required, paper stock requirements, presswork/imaging technology required, number and colors of inks, finishing techniques required, binding procedures, and complexity of finished product.
- Calculates production time requirements as a portion of the project estimate and reviews values to identify potential errors and test “reasonableness” of the estimate.
- Estimates costs of shipping or mailing finished printed matter if specified on request.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in a commercial printing environment
- In depth understanding of the production requirements for sheet-fed offset; digital; wide format; and mailing jobs
- Experience using EFI Monarch software is a plus
- Ability to analyze a job and develop a coherent plan
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Successful completion of an Estimating skills test
- Ability to pass a criminal background check and pre-placement drug screening
In business since 1903, HBP, Inc. is a commercial printer in Falls Church, VA,and Hagerstown, MD, who provides customers with intelligent solutions, from concept to delivery. We align business goals with communications initiatives that leverage offset/digital/wide format print, mailing, fulfillment and design services.
We offer an excellent benefits package including 401k match and a full range of health benefits options.
HBP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Estimating: 3 years (Preferred)