Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Reston, VA, USA; Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google's complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
Googlers’ experience has always been core to all we do in Corporate Network. We aspire to provide a predictable experience for Googlers with connectivity, mobility, security, privacy, and performance everywhere.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Engage in and improve the lifecycle of services from inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement.
- Support the Corporate Network, the software and systems that manage the network, and function as technical, engineering and operational subject matter expert.
- Work with partner teams to build/re-use open source or common Google systems wherever possible to accelerate development and delivery of the platform.
- Participate in on-call schedule with other members of the team providing third-tier support, and solving complex issues.
- Design and build reusable designs and systems that promote scale, reliability, security and efficiency.
- Experience in access network protocols (e.g. 802.1ad, PIM/IGMP, QoS).
- Experience with TCP/IP fundamentals and commonly-used network protocols (MPLS, IPv6, Multicast, OSPF, BGP, IS-IS).
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages: Java, C/C++, or Python.
- 4 years relevant work experience, including scripting/coding.
- 2 years of hands-on experience deploying and operating a large enterprise network.
- Understanding of IP networks, layer 2/3 technologies and the operation of IP networks.
- Familiarity with test equipment such as OTDR, OSA, BERT and/or other network analysis tools.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies:
Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.