- This position is for EXPERIENCED OR Nurses. Minimum of 1 year OR experience is required.
- Full Time, Part Time and PRN opportunities are available
About MedStar's Lafayette Surgery Center
The Lafayette Surgery Center is a state-of-the-art outpatient surgical facility located in downtown Washington, DC. It is the first and most experienced freestanding multi-specialty surgery center in the D.C. Metro area. With 4 operating rooms and 2 procedural rooms, performing over 570 surgeries a month, it is one of MedStar's largest and busiest surgery centers!
* Relocation Assistance
* No Weekends, No Holidays, No On-Call
* Job security
* Outstanding Benefits Package
* Countless opportunities to further your career in a high reliability organization
* A close-knit family that looks after each other!
You’ll never go a day without playing an important role when you become part of the MedStar Health team. Join our 30,000 associates and 4,700 associated physicians committed to living this promise today.
Education- Bachelor's degree from an accredited School of Nursing. Required
Experience- 1-2 years of previous OR experience is REQUIRED
Licenses and Certifications
- Valid RN license in the District of Columbia. Required
- CPR certification Required
- ACLS certified for Pre-Op or PACU. Required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to precept.
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Basic math and computer skills
- Previous experience with the use of specialized medical equipment.
- Adheres to surgical schedule and case turnover consistent with standards. Is ready for first case of the day consistent with OR scheduling policies. Maintains communication with control desk anticipating delays or completion of case.
- Anticipates needs of surgical team by correctly assembling needed supplies for each procedure according to physician preference card. Verifies that all equipment is functioning at the beginning of and during the case, recognizing own problem-solving limitations, and seeks assistance as needed. Maintains a sterile field throughout the case by practicing aseptic techniques in accordance with standards of care and infection control guidelines; or anticipates needs of the perioperative patient in the PACU setting.
- Communicates patient's clinical information clearly and accurately in verbal and written format. Clearly and accurately documents pertinent information in the patient's medical record.
- Completes timely initial and ongoing patient assessments, considering the physiological, psychosocial, spiritual, cultural, and developmental needs of patients and families. Serves as a resource in planning care for complex patients.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards.
- Coordinates care of assigned patient(s) preoperatively, intraoperatively, and/or postoperatively. Consistently demonstrates effective leadership behavior. Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Delivers nursing care to patients considering the current status of the patient and the plan of care and incorporating the principles of patient centered care.
- Evaluates the patient's response to treatment and progress toward identified goals and revises plan of care as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the patient, family, and other members of the health care team, systematically develops, revises, and coordinates the patient's plan of care. Formulates nursing diagnosis as necessary.
- Assists staff in delegation/time management skills. Identifies ways to facilitate working relationships among all levels of staff.
- Initiates and monitors discharge planning activities in collaboration with other members of the health care team. Takes the lead in facilitating timely discharge.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, PRN, Permanent, Per diem
Pay: $42.00 - $54.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid sick time
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- JCAHO accredited facility
- Operating room
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Work Location: In person