At Northern Hospitality, we pride ourselves on the results we deliver for the business partners/owners that entrust us to manage their properties profitably, and in a sustainable and committed community-minded manner.
With over three decades of history developing, operating, and managing properties across New England, our team brings significant breadth and depth of experience. Our management team members live in the communities where they work; they are committed to the neighborhoods our properties are located in, their history, and their future at the forefront of 21st century hospitality.
Northern Hospitality is based in Portland, Maine, and is an approved management company for the Hilton and Marriott brands. We consistently deliver exceptional service to our guests, and maximize financial return and asset value for our owners.
Northern Hospitality is currently recruiting for the Area Director of Finance position, reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer. The ADOF functions as the strategic financial business leader. The position has the responsibility for, and is the main driver of, financial strategies that deliver exceptional results for the business. The position provides the financial expertise to enable the successful implementation of brand strategies and initiatives while maximizing the ROI for owners.
Job Description Summary: The Area Director of Finance will support multiple properties in Maine and New Hampshire, including the Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside, Hilton Garden Inn Auburn, Hampton Inn Lewiston, Brick South Portland, as well as two full service branded hotels under development, with openings in 2020. This is an executive level position responsible and accountable for financial reporting to Ownership and Management Company, accounting controls, and accounting systems.
Scope of this Position
- Develop and implement financial business plans and strategies
- Manage Finance Team of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable Specialists
- Implement and oversee tight financial controls over multiple properties
- Report financial results to owners and management in accordance with hotel Accounting Principles each month
- Develop annual budget, finance procedures and guidelines
- Develop projections, forecasts and strategies to drive business results
- Supports and assists actively with revenue enhancement strategies
- Assure tax compliance and the accurate and time completion of information for returns
- Oversee consolidation of budgets and projections
- Assist Departments in budget preparation
- Provide management with operational reports
- Identify and recommend software applications.
- Schedule and conduct annual, quarterly and other audits
- Direct the daily, weekly and monthly reporting process in compliance with Management and Ownership requirements
- Develop accurate and timely forecasts including labor management
- Assist and guide Operations on control of costs and expenses
- Oversee compliance of local, state and federal laws
- Oversee risk management program, including all insurances
- Collaborate with President, COO, and Owners daily
- Oversee financial training of all management members
- Manage capital expenditures according to budget
- Oversight and ownership of leases, contracts, agreements, subcontracts, and licenses from accounting perspective
- Prepare and review multiple reports; responsible for IS/MIS function and purchasing Assists in developing bench strength and future growth through people development
- Other duties as assigned by the COO and President
- Must be a citizen of this country or possess a valid work permit.
- Five years’ experience as a hotel/resort controller overseeing multiple revenue streams in excess of $20M.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Must have experience at properties of similar size and quality.
- Position will be required to work a varied schedule that may include evenings, nights, and week-ends.
- BA/BS 4-5 year degree, or foreign equivalency, in Accounting or Finance
- Solid training and experience in all areas of Accounting from A/P, A/R, General Ledger, Credit, Collections, Audit, Inventory control, Payroll, Budgeting, Costing, P&L preparation and analysis and related
- MBA/CPA/CHAE certifications are desirable.
- Ability to manage change effectively.
- Ability to conceptualize the mission.
- Provide leadership to position the property to achieve the mission.
- Develop and implement business plan.
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to sell concepts and ideas to management, peers, and employees.
- Experience making presentations in front of groups.
- Maintain a good working relationship with guests, groups, and personnel from other departments.
- Demonstrate team building experience.
- Track record promoting an atmosphere of teamwork.
- Demonstrate ability to lead by example.
- A mentor who has inspired, trained, and developed people for promotion. Solid career progression up through the ranks.
- Instill a "can-do" attitude in employees. Experience training and cross-training employees.
Northern Hospitality is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a powerfully diverse workforce and a broadly inclusive workplace, where everyone can contribute to their fullest potential each day. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. .
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time