Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo.
What will you help us create?
As a Senior Dynamic Systems Control Engineer, you will be responsible for developing solutions to control complex electro-mechanical systems. You will take responsibility for developing models, performing analysis and producing algorithms for the control and estimation of robotic systems that guide and inform mechanical and electrical designs, and software implementation. You will demonstrate cross-functional resource interaction to accomplish your goals. You will play a role in defining processes and methods to improve the productivity of the entire team. You will investigate applicable academic and industry research applications, identify and initiate investigations of production technologies, prototype and test solutions to support product features, and design and validate production designs that deliver an exceptional user experience.
You will demonstrate strong working knowledge of physical systems, the desire to learn from new challenges and the problem solving and communication skills to work within a highly interactive and experienced team. Candidates must show a hands-on passion for their work and be able to communicate their ideas and concepts both verbally and visually. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and to respond quickly to changing contexts and work environments. In this role, you will:
Produce feature designs and validation to meet program objectives
Develop, simulate, and prototype dynamic electro-mechanical systems
Develop tests, perform failure analysis, and solution validation for product development
Conduct field failure analysis and solution evaluation for production product issues
Support positive team interactions to accomplish program objectives
Provide cross-functional program integration support to ensure team success
Commit to timely delivery of product features
Manage schedules and milestones
Apply technical expertise to problem solving throughout product lifecycle
Mentor junior engineers in good design practice
- PhD in machine learning, operations research, applied mathematics or a related field
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Extensive experience building predictive and optimization models
- Expert knowledge in at least one of following fields: machine learning, operations research, human device communications
- Fluency in a high-level modeling language such as R, Python, Matlab or other statistical software
- Strong communication, influencing and partnership skills
- Ability to navigate conflicting priorities and ambiguous problem space(s)
- Ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to business and product teams
- Curiosity and desire to learn
- Experience in feature engineering and building advanced forecasting models