LITE) is a market-leading manufacturer of innovative optical and photonic products enabling optical networking and commercial laser customers worldwide. Lumentum’s optical components and subsystems are part of virtually every type of telecom, enterprise, and data center network. Lumentum’s commercial lasers enable advanced manufacturing techniques and diverse applications including next-generation 3D sensing capabilities. Lumentum is headquartered in Milpitas, California with R&D, manufacturing, and sales offices worldwide. For more information, visit www.lumentum.com.
Lumentum is an Equal Opportunity Employer, EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disability
Lumentum’s Commercial Lasers R&D Organization is seeking a creative, highly motivated optical engineer or scientist to work on the development of novel kW or ultrafast laser technologies. The position entails a range of responsibilities including conception, fabrication and test of new laser designs and components, project management of small teams, and generation of new IP. The successful candidate will be able to work both independently and in a team in a structured, fast-paced R&D environment.
Duties and responsibilities
- Analysis of new laser concepts through theoretical and/or computational models.
- Fabrication and detailed characterization of prototype lasers and/or frequency-conversion stages.
- Development and/or characterization of critical laser components.
- Evaluation and improvement of current processes and components.
- Preparation of documentation both for internal R&D use and for transfer of products to manufacturing.
- Generation and documentation of new IP.
- Participation in project planning, data reviews, design reviews, and strategic planning.
- Work with cross-functional project or problem-solving teams, including optical, electronics, mechanical engineering, project management, and operations staff.
- Ph.D. with specialization in physics or optics, and relevant work experience.
- Hands-on experience with laser systems, preferably including fiber lasers and frequency-conversion stages.
- Understanding of and experience with basic optical elements, including lenses, mirrors, polarizers, apertures, and optical filters, as well as basic optical design and system alignment techniques.
- Experience with optical diagnostics and test equipment for characterizing the spatial, spectral, and temporal characteristics of laser systems (power meters, optical spectrum analyzers, imaging equipment, beam quality test equipment, etc.).
- Experience with standard laboratory test equipment (oscilloscopes, function generators, power supplies, etc.).
- Excellent communication skills.
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status.
- Track record showing initiative and creativity in executing assignments.
- Basic understanding of optical fibers and fiber-processing equipment, such as splicers and cleavers.
- Experience with high-power lasers.
- Experience with data acquisition, preferably using LabView.
- Experience with programming or data analysis, including commercial software packages.
- Familiarity with optical software packages (e.g. Zemax).
- Familiarity with basic electronics.
San Jose-Auto, CA USA 1750 Automation Parkway San Jose 95131
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Aug 17, 2018, 4:50:06 AM