PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE USAJOBS POSTING USING THIS LINK: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/694653300
This position is located in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Ocean Service (NOS), Office of Response and Restoration (OR&R), Business Office Division (BOD) with one vacancy in Mobile, AL; Seattle, WA; or Silver Spring, MD.
This is a term appointment not to exceed 1 year with possible extensions up to a total of 4 years without further competition. Appointment to this position will not convey permanent status in the Federal service.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NOS ORR-23-11759975-ST, which is open to Status Candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
As a Program Specialist, you will perform the following duties:
- Monitor budget execution for program office projects with various sources and types of funding (e.g., allotments, transfers of funds, reimbursements, revenue, and trust accounts). Evaluate changes in program plans and funding, and develop recommendations to management regarding financial and/or budgetary actions. Analyze financial management systems data to define complex issues and develop solutions. Provide HR support for processing personnel actions, including but not limited to, recruitment, details, promotions, reassignments, etc.
- Conduct studies on issues concerning the efficiency and effectiveness of program operations. Use quantitative/qualitative methods to evaluate program effectiveness in meeting established goals and objectives.
- Serve as Contracting Officer's Representative (COR), ensuring accurate and timely execution of procurement requests and modifications. Advise staff on relevant guidance and regulations related to areas of contracting and acquisitions. Plan and execute future contracting needs, including but not limited to, development of statement of work and performing market research. Monitor funds and requests de-obligations when funds expire.
onditions of Employment
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band.
The ZA-3 is equivalent to the GS-11/12.
* A one year probationary period may be required.
* Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit
Condition of Employment: Ability to obtain and maintain a COR Level II certification.
NOTES: This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Program Specialist, ZA-0301-3 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band and requires the same qualifications and specialized experience as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year probationary period.
More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov)
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: https://www.opm.gov/policy
EDUCATION: There is no positive education requirement for this position.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience need not have been in the federal government.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify at the ZA-3 or GS-11 level:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZA-2 or GS-09 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Participating in evaluating an administrative operations to assess its effectiveness in meeting established program goals and objectives;
- Assisting in executing an operating budget (i.e., tracking execution and monitoring budgeted expenditures and program allocations); and
- Assisting in reviewing procurement requests to initiate acquisition/contracting procedures to acquire goods and services that meet customer requirements.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A combination of education and experience as described above. Note: Only education in excess of two years is qualifying for combination of education and experience.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Pay: $66,214.00 - $116,788.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Silver Spring, MD 20910