**ONLY APPLICANTS WHO ARE PERMANENT IN CLERICAL ASSOCIATE TITLE SHOULD APPLY. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN YOUR DISQUALIFICATION.
The Bureau of Vital Statistics is responsible for registering and certifying all birth, deaths, spontaneous and induced terminations of pregnancy in NYC. The bureau issues, analyzes and reports on 285,000 vital events each year. The bureau is a very large customer service operation, providing death certification services on a 24/7 basis, issuing more than 900,000 certified copies of birth and death records, and fulfilling hundreds of data requests annually. The Office of Vital Records Services (OVRS) seeks a candidate who will work the Credit Card business unit. The unit processes approximately 145,000 customer birth and death certificate orders per year.
The selected candidate will complete requests submitted by customers online, train in all OVRS database systems and business processes, learn the policies and procedures of OVRS with respect to confidentiality, security paper, and the reconciliation of the financial revenue. The candidate will be cross-trained to complete the tasks of all Public Service Operations (PSO) units and required to provide coverage to the areas of need, specifically coverage at the customer service window, as needed. The candidate will possess excellent customer service skills, with both external customers as well as internal colleagues and peers.
- Review application requests for orders submitted online.
- Validate, search, match and approve the request for issuance.
- Review requests that are submitted with documentary evidence, determine eligibility and approve for issuance.
- Adhere to and sign the BVS confidentiality form.
- Adhere to the standards of certified paper protocols.
- Adhere to the standards for the reconciliation of online orders.
- Adhere to the standards for printing and mailing of vital records.
- Provide training to staff on the current business processes or changes that occur in the unit.
- Train, learn and participate in the testing/usage of OVRS's processing systems.
- Learn to complete all new business processes in the upcoming eVitals system.
- Participate in trainings that will enhance skill-sets and professional development.
- Provide customer support to in-person customers as assigned.
- Model best practices in customer service.
Minimum Qual Requirements
A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State's department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and one year of satisfactory clerical experience.
Keyboard familiarity with the ability to type at a minimum of 100 key strokes (20 words) per minute.
**IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
- A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
- Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
- Current Resume
- Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill (i.e. Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOHMH qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 382417.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Health Department is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and culturally responsive workforce. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, age, prior record of arrest; or any other basis prohibited by law.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.