Senior Specialist - Payroll-11176
The future is bright at DTE Energy! We are the largest electric and gas utility in Michigan with an aspiration to be the best-operated energy company in North America. We are a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Detroit, Michigan with businesses in 26 different states.
DTE Energy’s utility and non-utility businesses are poised for significant growth. We look forward to working with highly motivated and team-oriented individuals to energize our efforts of growing economically and environmentally.
We care for our employees and prioritize their health and safety first. Recently, DTE Energy has been recognized as an outstanding place to work and has received the following accolades:
- Gallup Great Workplace Award for 5 consecutive years
- 7th on Indeed’s annual “50 Best Places to Work” award
- Metropolitan Detroit’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to work For
- J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Award
- Professional Women’s Magazine/Black EOE Journal “Best of the Best”
- Computerworld’s 100 Best Places to Work in IT
- Best Employers for a Healthy Lifestyle Gold Award
- Detroit Free Press Green Leaders Award
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Utilizes advanced general and technical knowledge of the SAP payroll system to establish and maintain system tables, perform system maintenance, execute ad-hoc queries, and support complex calculations to assure transactions are processed accurately and system functionality is performing as expected. Contributes to system enhancement, performance measurement and continuous improvement of the process using original and creative approaches balanced by sound discretion and judgment. Coordinates quarterly tax filings. Coordinates special projects both within Payroll and across Human Resources and other related departments.
- Sets up and executes bi-weekly Payroll system operations. Monitors Payroll system processing. Analyzes system operational problems and resolves or works with IT to resolve.
- Verifies system and transaction processing controls to assure accurate Payroll system performance and processing. Balances wages and assures account reconciliations are completed and kept up to date. Identifies control weaknesses and recommends solutions. Reconciles quarterly tax filings. Prepares and enters accounting entries for the monthly GL close.
- Designs and implements moderately complex system changes. Monitors system performance and transaction processing procedures to assure compliance to corporate policies and collective bargaining agreements. Maintains the accuracy of executive compensation plans and taxable benefits. Develops training materials and monitors procedure documentation by staff. Teaches staff members and clients requirements for process, policy, regulatory and bargaining agreement compliance.
- Supports SAP Payroll computer system design, requirement specifications, and testing of new or modified applications. Supports system upgrades. Serves as the Payroll process liaison for cross- functional initiatives with Human Resources and other related groups. Supports special processing and complex calculations annual incentive pays, W-2 processing, etc.
- Measures cost competitiveness of the Payroll process by updating existing benchmarking data and measuring process metrics against such data. Identifies and implements improvement opportunities focused on cost reduction, productivity improvement and customer service enhancement.
- Reviews work of Analysts to ensure quality and accuracy. May approve certain transactions as designated by the Payroll manager. Uses judgment and discretion in approach to problem resolution.
- Provides technical guidance to questions of Payroll Analysts regarding transaction processing.
- Monitors SLA performance versus requirements for customers, and works with customers to resolve concerns, problems or conflicts using discretion and judgment. Supports resolution of tax related issues from internal departments and outside federal, state and local government agencies.
- Gathers required data and statistics to enable tracking and monitoring of process metrics.
- Develops and analyzes various operational reports, and identifies needed enhancements to satisfy reporting requirements of the process and / or its customers
- Required: Bachelor's degree in Business Administration
- Required: 2 - 3 years related experience, or equivalent.
- Required: Advanced knowledge of SAP payroll system application,
- Required: Advanced knowledge of payroll laws,
- Preferred:Demonstrated ability with Project Management techniques and use of Project Management tools.
- Preferred:Previous mid-level formalized training in SAP payroll system software with system implementation and oversight experience.
- Preferred:3-5 years experience payroll tax administration and account reconciliation
- Preferred: Six Sigma yellow belt
- Knowledge of corporate policies and collective bargaining agreements. Fully functioning knowledge of General Ledger application.
- Previous mid-level formalized training in SAP payroll system software with system implementation and oversight experience.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation skills. Advanced problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well with others. Proficient verbal, non-verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Experience with financial and process controls in a large organization.
- PC Proficiency, including experience with MS Office products.
Job Function Finance & Treasury
Primary LocationMichigan-Southeast Michigan-Detroit
WCB (Walker Cisler Building) One Energy Plaza Detroit 48226
Job Type Regular
Is this position covered under a Collective Bargaining Agreement? No
Skills Based Testing Required:
External Pre-Hire Assessment Required:
Professional Pre-Hire Assessment
This position is a Department of Transportation (DOT) covered position and must pass DOT drug screen and is subject to random drug testing. No
This position will require authorized unescorted access (cyber and/or physical) to NERC-CIP (North American Electric Reliability Corp. — Critical Infrastructure Protection Cyber Security Standards) controlled assets or documents? No
This position will require authorized unescorted access to restricted areas and/or access to critical assets of a CFATS (Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards) designated High Risk Chemical Facility? No
This position will require Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Gas Training qualifications No