ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT 2 – ACCESSIONING
FULL-TIME, 100% FTE)
UW Medicine’s mission is to improve the health of the public by advancing medical knowledge, providing outstanding primary and specialty care to the people of the region, and preparing tomorrow’s physicians, scientists and other health professionals. UW Medicine owns or operates Harborview Medical Center (HMC), Northwest Hospital & Medical Center (NWH), Valley Medical Center (VMC), UW Medical Center (UWMC), a network of UW Medicine Neighborhood Clinics (UWNC) that provide primary care, UW Physicians, UW School of Medicine, Airlift Northwest, and other owned, operated or affiliated entities as appropriate. In addition, UW Medicine shares in the ownership and governance of Children’s University Medical Group and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance a partnership among UW Medicine, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research, and Seattle Children’s.
UW Medicine’s Department of Anatomic Pathology has several outstanding opportunities for 100% Full-Time Administrative Assistants 2 positions supporting UW Medical Center operations.
These positions are responsible for performing critical tasks related to the Accessioning area of Pathology. The candidate will work efficiently with the Pathology team by receiving and processing the intake of pathology specimens from inside and outside the UW Medicine system. The candidate is expected to perform some coverage for department phone lines; therefore, strong telephone and customer service skills are required. Strict adherence to all procedures in relation to patient care is expected. These positions may perform work in both an office and a laboratory setting, so working with human tissue, laboratory chemicals, and personal protective equipment may be required.
The position is scheduled Monday-Friday, and one or more of the positions include an evening schedule. Periodic schedule flexibility may be required for staffing coverage.
- Accurately receive, log, track, and route incoming pathology tissue, slides, and blocks.
- Efficiently and accurately accession internal and external pathology materials for continued clinical care. Triage and resolve issues in documentation in order to accurately process the intake of specimens in a timely manner.
- Send and retrieve Pathology and outside institution slides and blocks using department tracking workflows. Process and return consult material to originating institutions.
- Develop and maintain records through spreadsheet and database software.
- Deliver Pathology cases and materials to recipients within the department as scheduled or as needed. Prepare Pathology materials for transport to other locations via established courier runs.
- Interact professionally and communicate appropriately and clearly to physicians, office management and ancillary office staff.
- Answer the telephone in a professional manner; directs calls as appropriate.
- Acquire additional pathology materials from labs, hospitals and physicians at the request of faculty, trainees, and laboratories as required for additional testing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High school graduation or equivalent AND two years of full-time clerical experience OR equivalent education/experience.
Demonstrated computer experience in Microsoft Office Suite.
Ability to learn and use new computer applications.
Experience with hospital systems and billing practices.
Experience in a laboratory regulatory environment.
Experience using Powerpath, EPIC.
50 wpm typing speed.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.