Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center (Kroc Center Hawaii)
Full Time, Salary
The Salvation Army is a branch of the Christian Church, and the ultimate goal of all programs is a spiritual, emotional and physical regeneration of all people.
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
KROC CENTER HAWAII VISION:
Kroc Center Hawaii is a community center where families, individuals and relationships thrive in the name of Jesus.
The Athletics Manager is responsible for the operation and development of the Kroc Center Hawaii Athletics Program, including planning, organizing, and promoting sports teams and member engagement services. The Athletics Manager must be able to grow and expand all programs as well as develop new program initiatives that will extend the services of the Kroc Center Hawaii into the greater community.
The Athletics Manager will have a deep commitment to the mission of The Salvation Army, which will be evident in his or her professional life and the manner in which he or she represents The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in the community.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High school graduate or GED.
2. Three years developing, planning, managing and supervising gymnasiums and sports recreation programs.
3. Have successful experience in supervising and managing a professional staff and volunteers.
4. Creative thinker with a history of applying innovation in programming.
5. Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build community relationships. Can comfortably speak in public and in small group settings.
6. Ability to effectively understand, reflect and communicate the Christian principles, mission, goals, and strengths of The Salvation Army and The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center.
7. Must have a genuine holistic concern for children including their spiritual, emotional, social, intellectual, and physical well-being.
Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be accepted.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA from an accredited college or university in Physical Education, Parks and Recreation or a closely related field.
- Prior experience developing and administering budgets for gymnasiums and youth sports activities.
1. In partnership with the Program and Ministry Directors, ensure the mission of the Kroc Center Hawaii is integrated into the daily and seasonal operations of the athletic department.
2. Lead the planning, organizing, implementing, monitoring and supervising of all private, community and intramural athletic programs, and scheduled departmental activities.
3. Actively research new sports programs and activities targeted towards youth and adults. Meet with community athletic league representatives to explore program opportunities at the Kroc Center Hawaii.
4. Make recommendations for new programs to ensure diversity. As needed, work with Aquatics, Creative Arts and Education, and Health and Wellness Managers to develop cohesive programming and integration of departments.
5. Manages the day-to-day operations of the gymnasium and sports recreation programs.
6. Work with the Program Director, Ministry Director, and Corps Officers to integrate athletic and ministry team programs. Coordinate and execute all Salvation Army Oahu League Sporting Events.
7. In partnership with the events team, develop usage (rental) agreements and standardized usage fees for outside groups and private instructors who wish to rent the gymnasium, maintaining compliance with Salvation Army policies and procedures.
8. Maintain an accurate calendar of events and daily schedule of the gymnasium. Provide proactive communication related to gymnasium schedules to appropriate department managers and members.
9. Attend all scheduled staff meetings and management team meetings when directed.
10. Responsible for monthly equipment and supplies inventory and sending appropriate reports to the finance and accounting departments. Check equipment for defects, repair, etc. and discard defective equipment in accordance with procedures.
11. Prepare requisitions for the ordering of supplies and equipment as needed. Work directly with vendors and the finance team to complete the purchase.
12. Conducts preventative maintenance on gym equipment, athletics fields, sports court, and playing surfaces as required.
13. Recruit, hire, train and develop a high-performance team consisting of, but not limited to Gymnasium Attendants, Sports Instructors, Program Aides, volunteers and coaches.
14. Conduct regular meetings with direct reports to review performance and offer direction, motivation and guidance toward achieving individual, departmental and center goals.
15. Make hiring, promotion, disciplinary, and termination recommendations. Ensure all staff and volunteer coaches attend required trainings (NEMO, PTM, etc.) in a timely manner.
16. Assist in the writing of job descriptions for staff, instructors, coordinators, interns, and volunteers.
17. Maintain clear channels of communication with staff, volunteers, coaches, parents, and program participants. This will include parent meetings, the writing of internal memos, schedules, flyers, newsletters and one on one discussion.
18. Ensure that Protection the Mission (PTM) policies are adhered to by all staff and volunteers. Conducts scheduled audits and trainings as part of prevention program.
19. Create and maintain an office support system that will allow for timely and accurate record keeping, including the areas of statistical reports related to all athletics programs, accounting of expenditures and other reporting as required.
20. Conducts surveys to determine the best and most effective athletic programs and initiates new athletic activities for all age groups.
21. Establish a safe, healthy, and community-focused environment that delivers high member and participant satisfaction, capturing and tracking success stories.
22. Possesses a strong member service focus. Responds professionally to requests and inquiries from guests, members and staff to ensure effective long-term problem resolution.
23. Plan and execute all activities related to fundraising and end of season celebrations. Maintain adherence to Kroc Center Hawaii fundraising and travel policies.
24. Work cross-functionally with membership and marketing teams to achieve member retention goals.
25. Assist the RJKCCC Administrator, Center Director, Program Director and Director of Finance and F&B with the annual budget preparation, specifically related to athletics programs. Give input as needed. Be available to give answers about expenditures and other fiscal related matters concerning athletics.
26. Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army Policies and Procedures.
27. Maintain the Code of Ethics policy, which has been established for the RJKCCC.
28. Perform other assignments/duties as directed.
1. Work under stressful conditions.
2. Interact with others with courtesy and tact, emote the “Aloha Spirit”. Must have ability to work and relate well with people.
3. Ability to maintain a self-motivated and self- directed schedule.
4. Ability to take projects from beginning through completion.
5. Manage and prioritize multiple projects in an organized and efficient manner to meet tight deadlines.
6. Respond to crisis situations in a calm and effective manner.
7. Complete projects on schedule.
8. Exercise good judgment and comfortable taking initiative with projects.
This position requires sitting; climbing and/or balancing; stooping, kneeling, bending, stretching, crouching and/or crawling; standing; walking; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; use of vision; driving a vehicle; pushing/pulling/lifting/carrying 25-50 pounds and occasionally more than 50 pounds. This employee may also be required to work weekends and evenings.
The position requires talking to co-workers, clients, vendors; requires written communication to and from co-workers, clients, vendor; talking on the telephone; requires responding to written or verbal requests of co-workers, clients, and vendors; requires training/giving verbal and written instructions; requires receiving verbal and written instructions; requires writing/composing written language; requires reading; requires visiting/working at other worksites; requires communication via the latest technologies. Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
The position requires the ability to interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, professional manner in conformity with The Salvation Army Mission Statement. The position also requires the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
Recreational equipment used includes but is not limited to ball pumps, starter pistols, adjustable basketball goals, volleyball nets, time clocks, stop watches, score boards; athletic field maintenance equipment. General office equipment used include computers, photocopiers, scanners, printers, fax machines, telephone (office and cell), video projectors, sound-systems, microphones, audio-visual and lighting equipment, 10-key calculator, and automobile.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work both indoors and outdoors; may be performed during inclement weather and exposed to loud noises. Extensive travel is possible, including air travel, driving long distances, night driving, and extended travel of three days or more.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Must have a valid driver’s license and insured transportation and participation in The Salvation Army’s Fleet Safety Program on an annual basis. Submit a copy of DMV Driving Record with less than two (2) violations (moving or accident) in last twelve months to be eligible for this position.
First Aid, CPR and AED Certificate. Meet all health and safety regulations as defined by the Health Department as well as The Salvation Army.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and insured transportation.
- Will require a criminal history information check. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude employment. The circumstances involved in the conviction will be considered.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by management.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
- Interested parties must apply online at http://www.kroccenterhawaii.org/careers.html
Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.