We are looking for a Sr. Manager R&D for VMware’s Cloud Foundation product and related initiatives. VMware Cloud Foundation makes it easy to deploy and operate a secure and agile hybrid cloud. VMware Cloud Foundation is providing integrated cloud infrastructure (compute, storage, networking, and security), cloud management services and prescriptive designs to run a spectrum of workloads from enterprise workflows to virtual desktops to ML/AI applications, inside containers or virtual machines, in both private and public environments. For more information: https://www.vmware.com/products/cloud-foundation.html
As a successful engineering manager, you will be an innovative and seasoned software leader with a 10+ year proven track record in managing and delivering complex on-premise and cloud hosted products and services. You should be a seasoned, driven and passionate about private cloud, hybrid cloud, and cloud-native applications software engineering manager. He/she will have successfully shipped/delivered innovative clouds services and software products that have resulted in significant market impact, and also been part of high growth organizations at scale. A deep understanding of software design, distributed systems, infrastructure software, clouds services and SaaS is required.
- Manage and lead high-performance teams that deliver architecture, design, and implementation of products that provide centralized management for a hyper-converged product in data centers.
- Lead teams of developers to deliver on software projects using proven development processes (Agile/SCRUM).
- Mentor and develop senior engineers to build a strong engineering bench. Promote a culture of success, pride, performance, discipline, and creativity.
- Have experience with distributed systems, building multi-tier applications using Java/J2EE stack, Knowledge of virtualization, data center technologies is a plus.
- Work closely with project team members (Architects, Product Management, Functional QA, System Test), and coordinate all aspects of the projects including core VMware product integrations.
- Be an effective spokesperson and champion for the engineering teams.
- Proven ability to handle multiple, complex technical projects and have the flexibility to work in a very dynamic environment.
Experience in leading and managing world-class software development teams and multiple projects in a train release model.
Excellent leadership, people management, communication and documentation skills. Should be comfortable presenting to senior management, architects, stakeholders, and customers as needed.
5+ years of hands-on experience with Java-based development projects using MVC, SOA, RESTful APIs, horizontal scalability, microservices and best software design principles.
A combination of domain expertise in cloud services, SaaS, compute, storage, network, data center services and system-level software.
Experience of setting vision, building, leading and motivating global engineering teams at scale.
Ability to discuss, present, document and provide architectural and technical guidance to a team of highly skilled engineers. Drive good software design patterns for consistency, code quality, and supportability.
Excellent presentation, interaction and communication skills along with the ability to collaborate effectively across functional organizations.
BS or MS degree in Computer Science and minimum of 8+ years of software development experience is required
Experience in software development technologies including Java backend frameworks (Spring, J2EE), databases (Cassandra, Postgres), messaging frameworks (RMQ), and latest UI technologies (Angular-JS) is a plus.