Position Title: Corporate Accounting Manager
Position Group: Corporate (110)
Position Department: Group Accounting & Finance (1220)
Supervisor: Corporate Controller
Group Responsibility: Corporate
EEO-1 Job Title: Professionals
EEO-1 Job Title / SOC: Accountants and Auditors
EEO-1 Six level SOC Job Code: 13-2011
EEO-1: Four Digit Census Code: 0800
WC Class: Clerical (8810)
FLSA Status: Full Time Exempt
Physical Requirements / ADA Compliance
This is primarily a sedentary position which is performed at a desk or workspace using a computer. The employee may, at their option, use a standing workstation.
Employee may need to bend, lift, open and move product and office items, such as files and banker’s boxes varying in weight from 1 to 25 pounds depending on need.
The essential functions of the position must be performed with or without reasonable accommodations as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Hours and Location of Working Environment
This position will be based in the Boulder, Colorado AIM office in the United States. The employee will generally execute the functions and responsibilities of the position in the AIM office. The employee and the supervisor of this position may negotiate some remote working hours each week by mutual agreement.
Since this position is FLSA classified as an exempt position, the employee is expected to complete the essential functions and responsibilities of the position in an accurate and timely manner each business day, week and month.
The employee is generally expected to be available and working during the week each business day. The employee’s specific working hours daily and weekly will be mutually agreed upon by the employee and the supervisor of this position.
There is limited and occasional business travel required with this position throughout the year to support the activities of the groups and/or to attend meetings or professional development training endeavors.
Professional Skills and Abilities
A professional demeanor is a requirement of all employees at Active Interest Media. The following qualifications are fundamental to this position:
- Must exhibit and exercise exceptional judgment, professional accountability, and the ability to work through challenging tasks effectively
- Possess a high degree of personal integrity and strong professional ethics
- Work graciously under pressure in a courteous and cooperative manner
- The ability to take responsibility and “ownership” of the work completed and to “own up” to any errors, omissions or issues directly related to the work produced
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Strong customer service skills and a professional demeanor, interacting effectively with internal and external parties at all levels
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong business acumen with the ability to partner with group management while keeping accounting & finance directives top of mind
- Comfort with technology and proven computer skills
- A mature, results focused orientation to job responsibilities, deadlines and results
- Maintain extreme attention to detail while complying with strict deadlines
- Exhibit excellent time management skills
- Be willing to embrace new ideas and ways of working
- Demonstrate a strong team-player orientation and be willing to support others
- Exhibit a high level of self-motivation and as a self-starter being able to take initiative on projects
- Enthusiasm for subject matter of AIM
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with the Corporate Controller, the Group Business Managers, the Group Senior Accountants and the department’s entire staff
- Collaborate and effectively communicate with all the individuals in the group ensuring they are informed and familiar with the processes, policies and procedures of the Company
Professional Qualifications and Desired Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance (CPA or MBA is a plus)
- Minimum of 7 years of work experience in performing the essential functions and responsibilities of the position in a medium to large sized company (100 million +) with a large volume of transactions. Publishing, media or event management industry experience preferred.
- Understanding of and experience in accounting for all transactions in every accounting cycle (Sales order, invoicing, tangible inventory, developed inventory, AR, credit & collection, cash receipts, purchase requisitions, purchase orders, fixed assets, intangibles, purchase accounting, AP, cash disbursements, accruals & prepaids, payroll, and general ledger)
- In depth understanding of month end closing processes and the preparation of financial statements including all balance sheet reconciliations. Assisting in the comparison, analysis and reporting on variances between actual results and budgeted/LE amounts
- Experience working with budgets and latest estimate forecasts for both revenue and expenses
- In depth knowledge of GAAP and revenue recognition rules
- Medium to High level computer skills using Microsoft applications (Word and Power Point) and advanced proficiency in Excel including MS Excel table functionality, MS query and SQL query skills
- Preference given to individuals who have worked with the Oracle Fusion Cloud ERP and Oracle ECPBS
- Experience in working with a multi-module Tier I or II ERP system such as Oracle, SAP, Sage, JD Edwards or Net Suite
- Preference given to individuals who have worked with Salesforce or a comparable CRM technology
Primary Objective of Position
The Corporate Accounting Manager is an integral part of the accounting team and assists the Corporate Controller in executing all the accounting, budgeting and financial functions for the corporate group. This position works in tandem with the Corporate Controller to serve the internal and external parties associated with and transacting within the corporate group.
This position is a supporting resource to facilitate the business and financial needs of all the corporate business units and departments and their associated employees and suppliers. This is primarily accomplished by working closely with the Corporate Controller and the group senior accountants. This position does not directly supervise the senior accountants in the department.
This position is responsible for the assisting the Corporate Controller to ensure the complete and accurate recording of all accounting transactions of the corporate group in a timely manner in compliance with GAAP employing a clean cutoff of transactions at month end.
This position assists with the generation of corporate group’s monthly financial statements, prepares most of the balance sheet reconciliations monthly, reviews revenue & expense classifications, and assist in analyzing variances between actual results and budget/LE amounts.
This position assists in the annual budget process and reforecasts for the corporate group.
This position is responsible for the continuous and smooth process flow for all Oracle purchase requisitions, Oracle generated customer invoices, Salesforce generated customer invoices, T&E requisitions ensuring correct GL coding, treatment of revenue recognition (if any) and/or prepaid expenses.
This position is responsible for the successful matching of invoices to received purchase orders in Oracle and completing the necessary steps in the ERP to move the PO/receipt/invoice to a ready to pay status.
This position is responsible for the recording in Oracle of all consumer revenue transactions which cross groups. The transactions may need to be recorded in a detailed or summary manner each day. The responsibility for the processing and approval of credit card disputes and refunds requests also falls under this position. This role should consult with the appropriate group personnel on approving credit card disputes and refunds.
This position is responsible for recording in Oracle all of the non-group specific cash entries including the payment of payroll liabilities, transfers between bank accounts, bank fees, credit card processing charges and all other debits & credits which have not been booked by other group personnel. This position reconciles the main bank accounts for the organization monthly.
This role manages the fixed assets capitalization process and executes the recording of depreciation and amortization expense monthly. This role reviews and retires fully depreciation assets as needed, on an annual basis at a minimum.
This role is also one which must engage in educating the team members in the group of the proper procedures and applicable policies of AIM to ensure corporate revenue sales orders, AR invoices, purchase requisitions, purchase order receipts, accounts payable uploads and T&E requisitions are completed in accordance with AIM standards in the proper form and correct accounting period.
Specific Professional Job Responsibilities
Job Duties Oracle ERP
- Assist the Corporate Controller in ensuring the complete and accurate recording of all accounting transactions related to the groups in a timely manner in compliance with GAAP employing a clean cutoff of transactions at month end.
- Assistance with the generation of corporate group’s monthly financial statements including preparing and completing most all the group’s balance sheet reconciliations monthly, revenue & expense classifications are correct, and the analysis of all variances between actual results and budget/LE amounts are documented. Reconciliations also include the main Cash accounts, Accounts Receivable Trade, Accounts Payable Trade and the Fixed Asset accounts.
- Assist Corporate Controller in the preparation of the consolidated financial statements which combine all groups and all legal entities
- Ensures balancing of intercompany accounts between legal entities and groups in Oracle
- Responsibility for the preparation of the monthly main bank account reconciliations. This position books all cross group consumer revenue deposits. The transactions may need to be recorded in a detailed or summary manner each day. Coordinate with the group senior accountants to ensure all group specific consumer revenue sources have been recorded on a timely and accurate (recognized or deferred) manner in the group’s financial statements. The responsibility for the processing and approval of consumer revenue credit card disputes and refunds that are cross group specific requests also falls under this position
- Review the GL coding and classification of expense items on the corporate group’s purchase order prior to the posting to accounts payable to ensure correctness and accuracy. Make any adjustments as needed as well as incorporating prepaid GL coding, line items requiring a project code or items which will be capitalized into the purchase orders. This can be done either by que within Oracle or by responding directly to Oracle generated emails on a consistent and regular basis.
- Work with the corporate payables personnel to add or adjust the expense item, expense category and approval hierarchy in Oracle for the group.
- Manage maintenance of project codes by adding, inactivating or adjusting project codes in Oracle for categories of expenses / capitalizable items the company needs tracking on with these project codes.
- Diligently work with the corporate group employees to ensure that the appropriate purchase order requestors within the group have entered all expense items purchase requisitions in Oracle for their business unit and department in the proper period and that they have been “received” in the appropriate period. Communicate and educate the personnel in the group to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Execute the successful matching of supplier invoices to received purchase orders in Oracle and completing the necessary steps in the ERP to move the PO/receipt/invoice to a ready to pay status. Ensure GAAP compliance for prepaid or deferred treatment for any submitting and matched payables prior to posting.
- Work with supplier and cash disbursements accountant to ensure corporate group supplier additions and adjustments are made in an expedient manner. Communicate with corporate group personnel on the process for supplier set up and changes. Monitor the AP email mailbox for all relevant submissions for the corporate group.
- Book any allocation entries required monthly which spread corporate group items to the individual groups
- Manage fixed asset capitalization and run monthly depreciation & amortization processes. Coordinate and conduct annual fixed asset audit and retire / transfer any fixed assets as necessary.
- Ensure supplier invoices are being generated by personnel who are not AIM employees (suppliers must generate their own invoices and submit them to the company per the AP email address or the vendor portal)
- Review the relevant reports at month end for open purchase requisitions and unreceived purchase orders and address directly with group personnel on any actions to be taken to ensure a clean cut-off of expenses at month end.
- Work with corporate group personnel and suppliers to notify them of received purchase orders which have no supplier provided invoices.
- Diligently work with the corporate group personnel to ensure that the appropriate T&E requisitions for the group have entered in Oracle, including Capital One T&E requisitions, in a timely manner and that they have been thorough the audit process and are posted to AP in the appropriate period. Ensure that any relevant project codes, prepaid treatment or line items being capitalized are recorded correctly. Communicate and educate the personnel in the group to ensure accuracy and compliance for both T&E direct payments to employees and Capital One T&E expenses.
- Review the relevant reports at month end for open T&E requisitions and address directly with corporate group personnel on any actions to be taken to ensure a clean cut-off of expenses at month end.
- Prepare and upload the corporate group Capital One monthly expenses into Oracle and consult with Corporate Controller on coding
- Upload as accounts payable batches any approved expense items which do not require that the PO requisition process be followed (royalties, rents, honorariums for example)
- Consult, as needed, with the group senior accountants to transfer assets not yet placed into service into the fixed asset module in Oracle
- Ensure payroll entries are made each month (CBP, CBH, and Canadian PR’s)
- Prepare all relevant personal property tax, business license and other non-sales tax related government business tax and licenses filing specifically related to the corporate group.
- Continuously educate and train employees in the group to ensure timely and accurate compliance with AIM’s processes and policies for purchase order requisitions, T&E requisitions paid directly to an employee, and T&E requisitions paid to Capital One.
Job Duties Oracle ECPBS (Budgeting)
- Assist the Corporate Controller in gathering information and preparing the annual budget (and LE) process for the assigned groups Expenses will be budgeted in accordance with the GAAP accounting treatment of the expenditure matching revenue recognized with expensed incurred. Allocations also need to be budgeted which spread corporate group expenses to the various operating groups
- Assist the Corporate Controller in identifying key trends, revenue shortfalls and expense overages that may pose a risk to the group’s forecast
Job Duties Other
- Providing business, accounting, operational and analytical support to Corporate Controller evaluating the financial feasibility of existing and new business initiatives, and proactively engaging in controlling the group’s expenditures.
- Assist as needed with the business activities within the group (work at group events etc)
- Be an advocate and leader in promoting consistent adherence with the policies of the Company and a resource to the group personnel, suppliers and vendors in navigating processes in Oracle, Salesforce and Paylocity.
- Other duties as assigned
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 7 years (Required)