Fire and Gas Detection Consultant I (Entry Level)
Non-Exempt, permanent staff
Houston, TX (relocation not available) *
- At this time, we will only consider applications from US citizens or those with the required permit/VISA for this region, in place.
MICROPACK is a globally renowned team of Fire and Gas Detection Engineers and Consultants. We design, develop and manufacture the FDS product range of Visual Flame Detectors and are market leaders in the provision of Fire and Gas Mapping Studies. Our experience extends to equipping major oil and gas operators worldwide with Fire and Gas Engineers, who provide 24-hour support on these critical safety systems.
For over 30 years, MICROPACK has been actively working within the oil & gas industry and is today recognized as specialists in fire and gas detection design and technologies. In addition to pioneering the field of optical fire detection, MICROPACK is also experienced in fire research work and the effects of offshore environmental conditions on optical detection methods. This subsequently led to MICROPACK developing its own range of mapping tools, capable of quantifying the performance of fire and gas detection systems.
The Fire and Gas Detection Consultant I will be responsible for development of Fire and Gas Mapping Studies, development of training materials, field visits, reviewing other engineers work, travel to sites for field evaluations and client office visits.
- Surveying both onshore and offshore oil and gas assets throughout North America; including drilling/production platforms, FPSOs, onshore terminals, oil refineries, processing plants and oil/ gas pipelines. Primary work will be done in the Houston, TX region with some travel possible.
- Working alongside a wide range of oil and gas related disciplines to design a system which meets the performance requirements of the system.
- The ability to interpret applicable local regulations/ standards along with any applicable technical practices associated with any given site’s fire and gas detection system.
- The application and development of in-house fire and gas detection mapping software for the analysis of fire and gas detection systems.
- Provision of technical safety and risk management support and advice to operational and project personnel
- Provide specialist support, advice and guidance on technical aspects of safety, enabling the client to fulfil its regulatory compliance obligations. To ensure that our clients are up to date with industry developments and best practice.
- Team player but able to work on own initiative
- Excellent communication, written and verbal, and presentation skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic and creative
- Must have a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Bachelor of Science degree in safety, environmental, or technical related fields of study preferred (work experience will be considered)
- Must have proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite as well as the ability to quickly learn internal systems
- CFPS, CSP are desired
Other Requirements - essential
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Strong desire for continued growth and learning
- Must be able to pass background check
- Must be able to pass drug test
Other Skills as appropriate (e.g. Specific business skills) - not essential
- Should understand the various modelling theories – eg. Dispersion; Explosion overpressure; Heat radiation, etc.
- Should have a working knowledge of QRA, CBA, FERA, EERA, Passive and Active Fire Protection, and Human Factors.
- Experience in facilitating studies – eg. HAZID, HAZOP, SIMOPs, SIL Assessment, Bow-Tie analysis, ALARP demonstration, etc.
- Familiarity with US and International Codes and Standards.
- Experience in a similar position within Oil & Gas, Chemical, or other Major Accident Hazard facilities
Benefits package includes attractive salary with 10 days holiday (rising to 14 after 5 years), 13 paid legal holidays. 401K, Medical/Dental/Health Insurance.
The Company embraces diversity in our workforce, ensuring we have a workforce that provides us with a wide range of skills, ideas and energy. Embracing diversity means the Company will acknowledge, understand and appreciate the differences between individuals in developing a workplace that develops, benefits and enhances their value.
Selection for employment, promotion or any other benefit will be made based on merit, ability and suitability.
How to Apply
Please send resumes and cover letters to:
Only qualified individuals being considered will be contacted for an interview.