Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer of the College and the Assistant Vice President for University Relations, the Director of Communications will plan, execute, and evaluate a comprehensive communications and marketing program for the College of Architecture and Urban Studies, and align those activities with University wide communications, marketing and branding initiatives. The Director will have progressive experience in today’s communications fields, which includes evidence of strong writing and editing, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and marketing skills; proficiency in using a variety of communications tools and platforms, content management systems, and social media; must also have a strong understanding of effective graphic design and branding principles and the use of the Internet as a medium of communication; ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment. The Director is member of the College’s Advancement team to pursue and promote the overall institutional goals related to communications, fundraising, and alumni engagement, and will support the communications needs for the Dean and the College’s student recruitment efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree and relevant experience or Master’s degree.
- Ability to define goals and objectives, identify target audiences, and develop and implement strategic plans to accomplish and measure progress towards communications goals.
- Demonstrated experience in communications or marketing.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute and evaluate a comprehensive communications program.
- Experience in a higher education, independent school, or non-profit environment.
- Strong skills using technology in the workplace; familiarity with content management systems, web platforms, social media competencies.
- Demonstrated experience leading people, either as a supervisor, a colleague collaborating with others, or both.
- Experience working with alumni engagement initiatives.
- Experience working with a variety of creative communications, data analytics, e-mail management, and web content management software platforms.
Must have a criminal background check Must have a conviction check: Yes Describe Other: Employment Comments: How to Apply for this Job:
Interested candidates must apply online at www.jobs.vt.edu and search for posting AP0180244. Include with the faculty application, a cover letter, resume, and list of five references. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodation in the application process please notify the Human Resources Service Center, 540-231-9331, firstname.lastname@example.org. A review of applications will begin after 8/10/18.
Virginia Tech is an EOE employer.
Administrative and Professional Faculty Appointment Type: Regular If restricted or temporary, enter end date: FLSA Status: Exempt: Not eligible for overtime Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track Academic Year or Calendar Year: Calendar Year Percent Employment: Full-time If part time, enter Percent Time: Pay Range: Commensurate with Experience Location: Blacksburg Department: University Relations Location, if not Blacksburg: Location Zip Code: 24060 Work Schedule: 8-5, M-F Job Posting Date: 07/20/2018 Review Begin Date: 08/10/2018 Job Close Date: Restricted to university employees only? No Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.