At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Engineering & Sciences (E&S) organization pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission!
The Sensors and Payloads team at Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) is looking for you to join our team as a Principal Optical Engineer based out of Woodland Hills, CA.
What You'll get to Do:
- Design, model, analyze, and test optical and electro-optical systems and components, including sensors, lasers and fiber-optics.
- Conduct research and development into phases of physical optics and geometric optics, lasers, laser characteristics, laser maintenance, and broadband optical sources.
- Apply research of complex optical systems to achieve desired optical manipulations.
- Develop component specifications, tolerances, simulations and tests procedures for electro-optical systems and components.
- Use design-to-cost models, six sigma methodology, and other methods to assure optical design requirements met.
- PHD in Physics, Optics or Electrical Engineering.
- Hands-on skills for assembly and testing of designs.
- Experience with precision optical, micro-optic and/or fiber optic components.
- Experience with optical instrumentation, such as optical spectrum analyzers, laser sources and power meters.
- Great problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Good verbal and written communications skills for presentation of technical approaches, work performed, results, and findings.
- Eligible to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
What We Can Offer You:
- Active Government Top Secret Clearance or SSBI.
- Experience in DoD, or Aerospace product development and manufacturing.
- Knowledge and experience with fiber optic systems and components, such as lasers, modulators, dispersion compensators, fibers, passive components, receivers, and optical modules and sub-systems.
- Knowledge of computer instrumentation control.
- Knowledge of LabVIEW, MATLAB and Python programming languages.
Northrop Grumman provides a comprehensive benefits package and a work environment that encourages your growth and supports the mutual success of our people and our company. Northrop Grumman benefits give you the flexibility and control to choose the benefits that make the most sense for you and your family. Your package will include the following:
- Health Plan
- Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Additional benefits
o Education Assistance
o Training and Development
Additional Northrop Grumman Information:
Northrop Grumman has approximately 85,000 employees in all 50 states and in more than 25 countries, we strive to attract and retain the best employees by providing an inclusive work environment wherein employees are receptive to diverse ideas, perspectives and talents to help solve our toughest customer challenges: to develop and maintain some of the most technically sophisticated products, programs and services in the world.
Our Values. The women and men of Northrop Grumman Corporation are guided by Our Values. They describe our company as we want it to be. We want our decisions and actions to demonstrate these Values. We believe that putting Our Values into practice creates long-term benefits for shareholders, customers, employees, suppliers, and the communities we serve.
Our Responsibility. At Northrop Grumman, we are committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards, embracing diversity and inclusion, protecting the environment, and striving to be an ideal corporate citizen in the community and in the world.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.