This position will be primarily responsible for administering policies and programs, under the direction of the Vice President of Health and Safety and the Human Resources Manager, relating to all aspects of health & safety, regulatory compliance, and Human Resources within the company at specific operational locations.
This position will report directly to the Vice-President of Health and Safety and the Director of Human Resources and will work collaboratively with the local Plant Manager and employees at each location.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Health and Safety:
· Function as a primary H & S resource person at each operating site;
· Conduct new employee H & S orientation training, as well as on-going and refresher training as required;
· Ensure all training and employee and facility certification documentation is completed and maintained as required;
· Conduct regular facility inspections to identify potential H & S issues;
· Work with plant managers, supervisors, and employees to mitigate any identified hazards;
· Ensure the implementation and on-going administration of all H & S programs and requirements including:
(i) GHS (haz-com) compliance, including SDS compilation;
(ii) Visitor and Contractor Safety programs;
(iii) Confined Space Entry, Hot Work, and LO/TO programs;
(iv) Development and support of Safety Committees and safety suggestion program;
· Conduct incident investigations and assist with reporting requirements;
· Assist in managing the relationship with the company employer medical provider, including the coordination and management of work-related injuries and the workers compensation program, and pre-employment physical evaluations and drug screening;
· Function as the primary point of contact for any OSHA inquiries and investigations;
· Develop, implement and administer the ‘Light Duty” program at the facility;
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Human Resources:
· Function as the primary HR resource person at each operating site;
· Conduct new employee HR orientation training and onboarding, as well as on-going and refresher training as required;
· Ensure all HR training and certification documentation is completed and maintained as required: Sexual harassment, workplace violence, Employee Handbook,
· Partner with Plant Manager to recruit, interview, test and select site employees;
· Perform all required activities to insure successful and accurate employee time capture, and accurate and timely payroll the operation, including attendance and PTO record keeping.
· Timely and accurately, create and maintain (digitally and paper) all appropriate individual employee HR records and data: personal, payroll, benefits, discipline, job changes, wage changes, performance reviews, transfers, terminations, etc.
· Conduct initial HR incident investigations, report to the Director of HR, and assist with resolution requirements;
· Administer employee separation data: discipline history, event investigation, manager and employee counseling, exit interviews, turnover statistics, Unemployment claims, etc.
· Create and conduct programs for benefits open enrollment, changes to timekeeping and payroll procedures, performance evaluations; HR audits, wage, and salary surveys
· Accurate and timely communication with Director of HR to support the “Best People Best Workplace” environment.
This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Health and Safety preferred, or associate degree with 3 years of related experience and/or training.
Bi-lingual English and Spanish fluency required. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to read and write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals required. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written required. Ability to effectively gather and present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, customers, and the general public required.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
- Office machinery including computers, printers, fax machines, copiers, etc.
- Microsoft Office Suite and Access.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work in dusty, wet, hot or cold environments for extended periods of time
- Requires prolonged sitting and standing, bending, stooping and climbing
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and laboratory equipment
- Requires normal range of hearing and vision (including colors) to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports
- Requires lifting up to 25 pounds. Requires exposure to machines, chemicals and solvents
- Must understand vague and implicit instructions and react favorably in all work situations.
- Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
- Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position.
- Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict and make decisions under pressure.
- Ability to give, to receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans and prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans.
- Must understand people and be able to communicate effectively.
- Ability to do basic math calculations, input data into a computer and analyze data is required.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $65,000.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Schedule
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Safety Management: 4 years (Required)
- Human Resources: 1 year (Preferred)