A High Growth, Entrepreneurial Plant Based Protein Company
We are a newly formed division of Maple Leaf Foods, the largest protein company in Canada, which we can trace back over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. We formed this division after the acquisition of two leading brands in the refrigerated plant protein category – Lightlife Foods (located in Turners Falls, MA) and Field Roast Grain Meat Company (located in Seattle, WA). As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we advance our strategic agenda in the plant protein space, remaining agile and quick to react to change. Our focus on growth is laser-like, riding the fast growing plant-protein movement.
Our job is to make great food
Greenleaf Foods, located in Elmhurst, IL embraces a strong, values-based culture, where dedicated employees take pride in doing what’s right for our consumers, our customers and our communities. Our 400+ employees thrive in an engaging, open and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and responsibility. Each Greenleaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Food Scientist– Elmhurst, IL
The position of Food Scientist will appeal to individuals who enjoy the challenge of participating in the creation and execution of new and improved products. The individual will need to be self-motivated, team oriented, enjoy a fast-paced environment, dogged in their pursuit of the end goal and capable of bringing creative approaches to the resolution of the broad array of challenges with which they will be confronted. He or she must also enjoy the 'hands-on' nature of the job that will require involvement in both pilot and plant activities. A passion for food science and technology with an ability to use Science and Technology to problem solving will be important.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Co-ordinate product development through all stages of development; concept to bench-top prototype development, pilot plant and full-scale manufacture in support of the Business Initiatives.
- Plan and execute required bench top and/or pilot plant experiments in the development of new products and/or product renovations and/or new processes for the experimental plan and conduct experiments, produce documentation, and provide conclusions.
- Design and execute all stages of product development by conducting pilot plant trials on-site or at external facilities and formula commissioning at full-scale manufacturing; which includes scale-up of prototypes and subsequent trials to support introduction of new products and /or product renovations.
- Review and document raw ingredients, formulations and final product specifications to maintaining accurate records and to ensure compliance with Company standards.
- Build the SAP RD skills necessary to complete label and regulatory approvals as well as all SOP changes.
- Consult and provide direction to internal customers (i.e. Purchasing/Marketing/Manufacturing/Quality Assurance) by communicating information for product improvements and/or cost savings initiatives.
- Conduct assessment of problematic product issues and work as part of a team to resolve the technical problems and execute the development/modification of products
- Consult technical resources (literature, technical papers, academia, suppliers) to further product knowledge and apply the learning to execute projects.
- Prepare and present technical reports/results, both written and oral, to associates, peers and occasionally to management with business and scientific clarity.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
- BS, MS or PhD in Food Science, Food Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Product Development - preferably in plant protein or meat science.
- Functionally competent in MS Office programs
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Must have strong people management skills
- Must enjoy and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility of schedule – schedule may require various start times due to plant trials and start ups