The recreation therapist implements a program of therapeutic activities and interventions designed to help clients maintain and improve functioning.
Job Duties / Essential Functions
1. Active member of the treatment team i.e.: attend team/ ITT meetings, complete summary of progress notes, make recommendations, etc.
2. Assess each individual clients capabilities, needs, and interests as related to recreation.
3. Plan and implement therapeutic recreation programming consistent with treatment team goals through provision of groups and/or individual sessions that use a variety of modalities (sports, games, art, music, teamwork, leisure interests).
4. Evaluate progress of the client and ensure appropriate documentation is completed.
5. Consult with treatment team supervisors in order to facilitate the highest quality of recreational activities provided by childcare counselors. Support and encourage the provision of recreational and leisure activities on the unit.
6. Evaluate and recommend purchase of material and equipment needed for the program to the recreation supervisor.
7. Maintain an inventory of equipment and take responsibility for ordering supplies.
8. Monitor and be responsible for encouraging a safe and therapeutic environment during all recreation and leisure programming.
9. Assist Recreation Supervisor with the supervision of part-time and summer employees.
10. Responsible for the completion of 40 hours of training per calendar year in accordance with all corporate and regulatory requirements.
11. Transport children to and from the facility as needed and operate agency vehicles in accordance with organizational policy.
12. Maintain knowledge of current trends and developments in the field by reading appropriate books, journals and other literature, and by attending related seminars, conferences and workshops.
13. Ensure the delivery of medication to clients during recreation activities.
14. Fully perform restraints as necessary when ordered by a licensed professional using the current approved KidsPeace restraint methodology on youth who may weigh in excess of 250 pounds and who are verbally or physically threatening or otherwise presenting a threat to themselves or others.
Bachelor's degree in Therapeutic Recreation required. Current certification as a CTRS
Minimum of 2 years of direct childcare experience preferred.
Must possess basic personal computer knowledge and skills.
Must pass a Criminal Record History Clearance and a Child Abuse History Clearance which are processed by KidsPeace.
Must pass a Physical & Drug Screening & possess the ability to attend and successfully complete all KidsPeace sponsored training. EOE