The Senior Accountant has the responsibility for all accounting functions within the organization. Activities will include accounting and management of others toward completion of department goals.
1. Primary responsibility is to prepare financial statements and supporting schedules according to monthly close schedule. This duty is performed monthly, about 20% of the time.
2. Facilitate and complete monthly close procedures. This duty is performed monthly, about 10% of the time.
3. Analyze revenues, commissions and expenses to ensure they are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis. This duty is performed monthly, about 10% of the time.
4. Prepare monthly account reconciliations. This duty is performed monthly, about 10% of the time.
5. Assist with analyzing financial statements on a monthly basis and report on variances. This duty is performed monthly, about 5% of the time.
6. Assist external accounting firm with preparing tax returns and corporate reporting requirements. This duty is performed quarterly, about 5% of the time.
7. Assist with quarterly producer commission reports; analyzing and correcting discrepancies. This duty is performed quarterly, about 5% of the time.
8. Act as senior leader within the company. This duty is performed daily, about 10% of the time.
9. Assist with financial and tax audits. This duty is performed as needed, about 5% of the time.
10. Assist in documentation and monitoring of internal controls. This duty is performed as needed, about 5% of the time.
11. Manage small staff in daily accounting activities. This duty is performed daily, about 10% of the time.
12. Other projects as assigned. This duty is performed as needed, about 5% of the time.
13. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Broad knowledge of such fields as accounting, marketing, business administration, finance, etc. Equivalent to a four year college degree, plus 5 years related experience and/or training, and 12 to 18 months related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Advanced: 10-Key, Payroll Systems
Intermediate: Alphanumeric Data Entry, Spreadsheet
Basic: Contact Management, Database, Human Resources Systems, Presentation/PowerPoint
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and policy/procedure manuals; Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Strong understanding of accounting theory
Highly detail oriented and organized in work
Ability to meet assigned deadlines
Ability to identify and solve problems
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus
Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives
Proficiency with email and Microsoft Office applications
Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results.