Park Ranger 3
Lake Havasu State Park
Arizona State Parks and Trails Mission Statement:
Managing and conserving Arizona's natural, cultural and recreational resources for the benefit of the people both in our park and through our partners.
Arizona State Parks and Trails protects and preserves 35 State Parks and Natural Areas. The agency also includes the State Trails Program, outdoor-related Grants Program, the State Historic Preservation Office, as well as the Off-Highway Vehicle Program, and more. Arizona State Parks and Trails provides over 1,400 camping and RV sites throughout the parks and manages 8 of the top 25 most visited natural attractions in Arizona.
To learn more about Arizona State Parks and Trails, visit our web site at azstateparks.com.
Park Ranger III
699 London Bridge Road
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Under the direction of the Park Manager, and/or the Assistant Manager, this position is responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of a recreation-based or natural resource/historic park. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- This position will be accountable for hiring, training, and coaching volunteers. Also for completing paperwork and reports associated with the volunteer program.
- Volunteer coordinator will schedule of both the ranger and volunteer staff, take shifts as duty manager for the front desk, fill-in where needed, and receive assignments from the Park Manager and/or Assistant Park Manager.
- Supervision and training of Park Ranger II's, Park Ranger Specialists and Volunteers.
- Operates park with a business acumen and entrepreneurial spirit that focuses on revenue generation, cost effectiveness, and innovation;
- Develops partnerships through fostering and maintaining positive relationships with external organizations such as, but limited to, friends groups, chambers of commerce, media, special interest groups, and local, state and federal government entities;
- Provides excellent customer service to our customers;
- Performs administrative duties such as preparing reports, project management, and updating the Annual Operating Plan;
- Directs and/or performs park maintenance, improvement projects and park inventories;
- Participates and represents the Agency in a variety of capacities (e.g., public meetings); and
- Enforces all park policies and procedures while conserving the natural resources and ensuring public safety for our customers and employees.
- Hosts park visitors, provides general information, leads or assists in on-going training, conducts other interpretive programs, patrols grounds, enforces park rules, performs office and custodial duties, takes part in emergency situations, works with other units as assigned, works with and around Department of Corrections work crew.
- Assists with the planning of special events at the park. Represents the park at off site events.
May require Water/Waste Water Certification based on current requirements.
May require EMT certification within 1 year of appointment.
This position must be able to work weekends and holidays and could possibly relocate to another state park seasonally and/or permanently.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
Basic knowledge of: park operational needs and quality standards; natural, recreation, and cultural resource management; grounds and facilities maintenance; best practices in volunteer resource management; public speaking and interpretation; visitor safety and employee safety standards; employee/volunteer management and training concepts; supervisory and managerial principles and techniques; event, project and program coordination; organization; local area natural resources and attractions; park rules and policies; vehicle operation; general office procedure and equipment use; time management; interpretive programming; staff scheduling; record keeping; customer service; cash handling; rule enforcement procedures and practices; budgetary and fiscal management; computers and Microsoft Office Programs (such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel); and AZ State Parks and Trails culture and mission.
Skills in: work management and leadership; individual and team interaction; rule enforcement practices and techniques; interpersonal relationships, mentoring and team building; supervisory techniques; multi-tasking; responding to visitor complaints, emergency response; problem solving; data and trend analysis; prioritizing work and meeting deadlines; effective verbal and written communication; public speaking; equipment operation; and work effectively with large numbers of people.
Ability to: work independently or with a team; speak to the general public; manage sensitive and delicate situations with a high degree of cordiality; evaluate and establish priorities; react to changing program needs; maintain and upkeep of facilities and grounds; communicate with the public in intense settings; train and manage volunteers and staff; identify and correct safety hazards, write reports and letters; collect and process fees using agency computer programs; work weekends, holidays, and night shifts; work outside in extreme temperatures; and relocate to another state park seasonally and or permanently on a periodic basis.
Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver's license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver's license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving record.
An ideal candidate would have:
- Bachelors Degree in the area of Park Management, Natural Resource Management, Recreation, or closely related field.
- Experience in park management and operations.
Arizona State Parks and the State of Arizona offers an outstanding comprehensive benefits package including:
- Up to 21 days vacation, 12 sick days with accumulation benefits, 10 paid holidays.
- Participation in the state retirement system, Deferred Compensation.
- Superior health care options, vision care, dental care, pharmacy benefits, and flexible spending account (options available).
- Life, long-term disability, and short-term disability insurance options are available.
- Discounted auto and/or home insurance.
- Employee Assistance Program, Wellness Program.
- Many more benefit programs are available.
All newly hired employees will be subject to
the E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification Program.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer