Job Description – Program Director/Rehearsal Director - Charlotte Ballet II
Celebrating more than 50 years, Charlotte Ballet is seeking a Program Director - Charlotte Ballet II to help us fulfill the organization’s mission: Through dance, we create authentic connections, engaging and inclusive educational opportunities, and transformative experiences. The Program Director will report to the Artistic Director and will support his artistic vision through daily oversight of Company II dancers. The successful candidate will have significant experience in professional dance and class instruction, while also understanding the nuances of daily class/rehearsal/choreography. The position will serve as support for visiting choreographers as well as a trusted guide for our dancers.
The Program Director’s primary responsibilities are to curate and develop programming for Charlotte Ballet II Lecture Demonstration series to support learning strategies developed by the Education Team; to effectively rehearse and train Charlotte Ballet II in all aspects of technique and repertoire; and to support rehearsal direction for Charlotte Ballet and teach Company class.
- Curate repertoire in partnership with the Artistic Director and Education and Community Engagement Team for lecture demonstrations to support learning strategies developed by the Education and Community Engagement Team.
- Assist visiting choreographers when required for both Charlotte Ballet II and Charlotte Ballet.
- Restage and rehearse work in subsequent seasons to maintain the original standard of the production as indicated by the choreographer, répétiteur or Artistic Director.
- Communicate casting and readiness of ballets to Artistic Director.
- Teach Company class for both Charlotte Ballet II and Charlotte Ballet to a standard for both male and female dancers as directed by the Artistic Director to maintain technique.
- Attend performances and lecture demonstrations as required.
- Provide effective communication around casting scheduling and daily feedback to the dancers.
- Responsible for day-to-day scheduling in accordance with the Dancer Guidelines for Charlotte Ballet and Charlotte Ballet II.
- Provide support and documentation to the Artistic Director throughout the year on dancer development.
- Keep track of and submit dancer overtime for Charlotte Ballet II.
- Attend weekly full staff meetings when available.
- Be available for Master Classes or repertoire classes when required.
- Be available to teach throughout the Summer Intensive.
- Other duties as required.
Education, Qualifications, and Competencies:
- Minimum of 10 years as a professional dancer; performing both classical and contemporary repertoire.
- Clearly communicate a Ballet’s style, steps and musicality to dancers in a manner that ensures a faithful recreation of the choreographers’ ballet.
- Present information effectively and clearly to Artistic Director, dancers and staff.
- Actively listen to dancers’ and visiting choreographers’ concerns and problems, and helps provide appropriate solutions. Follow up to ensure positive outcomes.
- Effectively manage rehearsal to ensure compliance with Dancer Guidelines.
- Expertly and diplomatically manage the casting of ballets and successfully resolve issues surrounding multiple casts, sick or injured dancers.
- Demonstrate diplomacy and tact in all interactions.
- Build rapport and develop effective, collaborative relations with dancers and visiting choreographers.
- Face difficult situations with tenacity and continually support staff and dancers.
- Communicate technical expectations and effectively deliver regular, specific, objective feedback to dancers and others to ensure excellent performances.
- Demonstrate sound management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of music structure and dance vocabulary and how they function together in choreography.
- Knowledge of all aspects of theater, including lighting, make-up, hair, casting, shoes, props, sets and how these elements work in a total theater experience.
- Knowledge of dance in its many styles - ballet, modern, jazz, tap, ethnic forms.
- Must be able to memorize and retain choreography, counts in music and patterns.
The Program Director will be considered Full-time and Exempt in status.
Application will be open until position is filled.
Charlotte Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, we recognize our responsibility to embrace and promote Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) throughout all aspects and levels of our organization including artistic programming, talent recruiting and retention, training, workplace culture, and community engagement.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Charlotte, NC 28202: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Please describe why you would be an ideal fit for this role with Charlotte Ballet.
- Professional Dance Company: 10 years (Preferred)
Work Location: In person