The Youth Counselor works as scheduled at the Youth Reception Center, providing supervision, support and direction to children ages 14-17 fostering their positive growth and development; maintains a hazard free, clean and orderly household; prepares meals to conform to menus; completes all required logs, forms and reports, participates in meetings as scheduled; accompanies groups or individual children for outside activities or appointments as scheduled.
* Provides a warm, homelike atmosphere by establishing an individual relationship with each resident focusing on that resident's positive growth and development.
- Under the supervision of the Supervising staff, ensure an orderly schedule for the residents by supervising their daily activities: wake-up, school or other program attendance, mealtime, study time, assigned Healing Home chores and bedtime; monitors individual appointments for each child to endure punctual attendance.
- Monitors each youth's physical well-being ensuring suitable clothing, adequate food, and all required medical treatments, including the dispensing of medication.
- Communicates and enforces Healing Home rules with each child; applies discipline as outlined in Healing Home procedures in a fair and objective manner.
- Accompanies and transports children to outside activities (including supervised recreation) and appointments as required.
- Maintains a hazard free, clean and orderly household by promptly reporting maintenance problems to the supervisory staff and by completion of assigned household chores in a timely and efficient manner.
- Prepares meals and snacks under the assignment and direction of the Household Coordinator according to posted menus.
- Holds petty cash and other valuables of the home as assigned and dispenses according to Healing Home procedures.
- Completes all required paper work such as incident, AWOL, medical, medication, and logs book reporting for the Healing Home.
- Participates in meetings as required and ensures that treatment/permanency plans are carried out on a daily basis.
This position is full-time and located in Staten Island.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have a valid NYS driver's license
- Must have the ability to support, nurture and discipline children in a structured environment, as evidence by 1 year professional child care experience
- Experience in working with diverse communities, and knowledge of multicultural issues including race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, etc.
- Must have proven skills in cooking and household maintenance
- Must be able to work evening/night shift (4pm - 12am ) or (12am - 8 am)
- HSVS requires all new hires to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date. Employees who require an accommodation for medical or religious reasons should notify Human Resources
- Rewarding Work in a team environment;
- Paid vacation, sick, personal days and holidays;
- 403(B) retirement plan with employer contribution;
- Health, dental, vision and life insurance;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP);
- Flexible spending account (Dependent Care, Medical, Parking, and Transit);
- Employee Appreciation Programs and Events;
- Tuition Assistance Program;
- Professional Development opportunities;
- Verizon Wireless Discount;
- BJs Membership discount;
- Discounts on Broadway tickets, movie tickets, theme parks, sporting events, gift certificates & more.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
HSVS requires all new hires to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date. Employees who require an accommodation for medical or religious reasons should notify Human Resources
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Staten Island, NY: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- working with teens in foster care: 2 years (Required)
- New York State Driver's License (Required)
- Night Shift (Required)
- Overnight Shift (Required)
Work Location: Multiple Locations