The Data Engineer is responsible for the maintenance, improvement, cleaning, and manipulation of data in the business’s operational and analytics databases. The Data Engineer works with the applications teams, business partners, and data scientists in order to understand and aid in the implementation of database requirements, analyze performance, and troubleshoot any existing issues. The data engineer maintains the optimal data pipeline architecture, assembles data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements and performs optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a variety of data sources using SQL and/or other data technologies. They are responsible for delivering analytical tools, solutions, and reporting. They collaborate with other organizations both internal and external to the company.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Develop information solutions for data-related problems using a variety of technical and analytical skills.
- Provide production support responsibilities for one or more reporting and analytical solutions.
- Collaborate with team members, architects, data scientists and software developers to gather requirements and work towards delivering complete analytics/reporting solutions that help improve organizational decision making.
- Provide ad-hoc analyses with large data sets.
- Promote new initiatives, identify areas of critical need, and drive change through implementations.
- Work directly with internal customers to enact change, identify business requirements and develop the best course of actions to meet their needs.
- Partner with management to identify and research analytical solutions, and make recommendations.
- Provide SQL query performance tuning capability to support development and data science teams.
- Design and build technical solutions for advanced business problems based on standards and guidance from more experienced team members.
- Partner with the architecture team to actively assist with developing and executing Data Engineering and Analytics Strategy.
- Implement P.O.C.s for new Information technologies and to vet on-boarding into the organization.
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
- Work hours may vary in length and schedule (may include a non-standard work week).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required
2+ years of experience required in Data and Analytics
Equivalent Minimum Qualifications
- High School diploma/GED
5+ years of experience required in Data and Analytics
- Bachelor degree from an accredited institution in Data Science, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, or a related major field of study.
- Hands on experience developing cloud data solutions utilizing Azure, GCP, AWS, Snowflake
- Experience in Transportation/Intermodal Operations, Information Systems, or Logistics
- Hands on experience with Azure, ADF and Power BI strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of modern programming languages such as Python
- Experience with streaming and processing big data
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges.
Strong communication and presentation skills, with both technical and business people.
Knowledge and Skills
- Able to unravel complex data
- Experienced building analytical tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights, operational efficiency, and other key metrics.
- A self-starter. Work independently to identify, design and implement internal process improvement, automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, and re-designing for greater scalability.
- Enable data driven decisions while disrupting data silos.
- Be an advocate and set an example for CSX’s digital cultural.
- Transform the way CSX operates with a proactive, informed risk-taking, and a winning attitude.
- A strong enthusiasm to learn
- Knowledge of cloud platforms such as Azure, Snowflake, GCP, and AWS
- Experience using Microsoft cloud products is highly desirable
- Results-oriented with a strong sense of ownership in delivering
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data
- Hands-on experience with end-to-end analytics (i.e., data extraction to presentation); able to build processes supporting data transformation
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Experience with SQL; a bility to write /tune advanced queries
- Knowledge of analytical and visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI, Alteryx);
- Knowledge of reporting technologies (e.g. SAP Analytics, Power BI, SAP Business Objects)
- Experience working with data processing technologies including, Data Lakes, Data warehouse, NoSQL, SQL, PL/SQL
- Strong time management and organizational skills.