The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is one of the leading behavioral and social science research organizations in the world. AIR’s mission is to conduct and apply the best behavioral and social science research to improve people’s lives, especially the disadvantaged. With 1600 staff and offices across the country and in many parts of the world, AIR has the opportunity to address many challenges and situations demanding study. We have an exciting growth opportunity for a Communication Assistant to provide professional communication and other program support services for behavior change campaigns and communication support activities with particular focus on health and education issues.
- Task management, client telephone and meeting contact, research partner groups, budget research, fact gathering, design coordination, material preparation, community outreach program timeline development, event management, idea brainstorming, budget development, assistance with new business research and preparation.
- Manage several small to mid-size tasks for multiple internal and/or external clients simultaneously. Plan and manage timelines ensuring that assignments are completed in an efficient and effective manner and that work is of high quality and accuracy. Work independently and seek guidance and direction as appropriate.
- Manage social media activities for clients (e.g., developing and implementing social strategies and tactics, drafting and clearing “tweets,” updating Facebook pages); develop and update Web information and outreach-related materials.
- Provide monthly activity reports, meeting notes and reports and create and track work orders.
- Research and write communication materials.
- Research and fact gather competitive literature and material samples from organizations, drafting copy, incorporating client changes, final proofing. Coordinate community outreach activities to facilitate participation in client projects and programs when required.
- Interact with other staff, service areas and clients in a professional and effective manner.
- Provide research and writing support for marketing initiatives/proposals and develop case studies.
- Provide ad-hoc support for other communication-related project work, such as materials and message development and staffing client meetings/conferences.
- Possible occasional travel to client sites.
1. Bachelor’s degree preferred in communication, public relations, public health, education, or related fields.
2. 1-2 years of relevant professional experience required.
3. Proven knowledge and effective use of social media and related information technology.
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
6. Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly time-sensitive environment, while ensuring quality.
7. Ability to handle multiple projects involving numerous changes simultaneously.
9. Experience with outreach to underserved populations a plus.