The Secretary provides administrative support and secretarial duties for attorneys and other timekeepers within the Intellectual Property Section. They will perform a wide variety of administrative tasks, which includes providing a high level of customer service, while consistently producing an excellent work product. He/she must be able to anticipate, plan and proactively meet the business needs of the attorneys and other assignments while maintaining a general knowledge of the assigned timekeeper’s practice area(s) and clients in order to ensure extraordinary client satisfaction.
Essential Job Functions:
- Read, sort and distribute incoming mail electronically; prepare materials for mailing, including envelopes, labels and various forms.
- Scan legal documents to firm’s electronic document management system in accordance with established procedures.
- Prepare routine correspondence, documents, reports and/or other related items.
- Responsible for proofreading document(s) for accuracy and completeness.
- Receive and act upon client instructions, including confirmations, acknowledging receipt of instructions, etc.
- Coordinate travel arrangements through firm’s travel agency.
- Create and maintain a desk reference guide for procedures, outstanding and unusual client/attorney requests, and special instructions relating to duties for easy access by others to support assigned attorneys or others as assigned.
- Schedule and maintain calendars for attorneys or others as assigned calendars, where appropriate; and maintain attorney-client contact information and other pertinent information in the firm’s client contact database program.
- Input and edit attorney time entries and confirm appropriate client and matter association.
- Input attorney and others expense reports.
- Responsible for client billing (paper and electronic billing); review billing for accuracy and completeness; perform client and timekeeper inquiries and narrative edits as needed.
- Process invoices for vendors and foreign counsel.
- Responsible for opening new matters accurately and consistently.
- Ability to search various websites in order to locate information to provide documentation to clients or others.
- Provide backup support to other team members to assist in meeting the goals of the office and/or others in the IP Section.
- Assist with file transfers, including incoming and/or outgoing.
- Schedule use of conference rooms.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with attorneys.
- Ability to read and comprehend materials involving legal and technical matters.
- Ability to work well independently and with others to accomplish goals.
- Ability to compose, proofread and edit (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) routine memorandums and correspondence, including emails.
- Identify and respond to internal and external client inquiries in a timely manner and seek feedback/follow-up as appropriate.
- Willingness to seek out and accept new responsibilities; including development opportunities to enhance skills.
- Take ownership of assigned work responsibilities through completion.
- Demonstrate a keen sensitivity to urgent attorney requests and strong organizational skills.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality in maintaining firm and client information.
- Ability to effectively communicate and present information as well as respond to questions from lawyers, staff, clients and the general public.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Minimum one (1) year of experience in a law firm environment and three (3) years as secretary;
- Prior experience with Intellectual Property patent and trademark prosecution matters helpful;
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite; and
- Flexibility to work additional hours as necessary.
Job Type: Full-time