Full Job Description
Network Engineer Federal Opening
Looking for only US Citizens & local to DC
RFQ Title: National Gallery of Art System Network Engineering Services
Place of Performance: Washington DC @ the National gallery
The networking, DNS and firewall infrastructure is a multi-vendor environment to include but not limited to Cisco, HP, Juniper and Check Point. The Gallery supports both public and private Wi-Fi infrastructure for its customers and for internal operations.
The total server count for the non-cloud environment is made up of approximately 100 physical machines in a heterogenous environment consisting of various versions of Windows and Linux operating systems. 60% of infra has been moved to AWS and Azure.
Systems used by the gallery IT Ops staff.
- What's Up Gold (WUG) – Internally hosted system that continuously monitors the status and connectivity of the Gallery’s IT systems, and in some cases, critical interfaces or services.
- Nagios – Internally hosted system that continuously monitors the status of the Central Processing Unit (CPU), memory, Input/output (IO) processes, and network interface of the Linux operating systems.
- Cacti – Internally hosted system that continuously monitors the status of the CPU, and bandwidth consumption of the network switches and routers.
- Terminal Access Controller Access Control System (TACACS) – Internally hosted system that manages the network routers, switches and protocols authorized to function within the Gallery’s network.
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) – Internally hosted system that manages the distribution and installation of Microsoft’s hotfixes and software updates.
- VMware vCenter – Internally hosted system that manages the instantiations of the Gallery’s virtualized IT systems.
- Aruba – Internally hosted system that provides network connectivity and management of the Gallery’s wireless networks and mobile devices.
- Infoblox – Internally hosted system that provides network domain name service (DNS) and dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP) administration for all named devices.
Scope: The Contractor shall provide IT operations support in accordance with the Gallery’s architectural and safety guidelines and adhere to IT policies and procedures. The Contractor shall provide full-time on-site support Monday through Friday, except for Federal holidays. All staff is required to work on-site at the Gallery in performing their duties during normal business days, with coverage required from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. Off-hours support may be tasked in emergency situations, such as outages or urgent system owners’ service requests. The Contractor, if tasked, will provide emergency support either on-site or by remote connection (if applicable) until the issue is resolved. The contractor shall able to travel to and perform assigned work at all facilities (current and future) Gallery either owns and/or is authorized to operate its infrastructure from.
The typical types of activity to be performed are provided below.
- Activating network ports by connecting patch cables to edge switch. This may also require tracing cables back to the proper patch panel and configuring the switch port for the proper VLAN.
- Router and switch management tasks will support software upgrades, hardware replacements, adding or changing VLAN or IP configurations, and addressing IT network security requirements. This will include adding or updating any associated device monitoring in SolarWinds or future monitoring tools. Additionally, the individual may be required to proactively monitor available tools (e.g. SolarWinds, Cacti, etc.) for potential network issues and take corrective action. Network troubleshooting will require using available tools to investigate causes of network-wide disruptions on wired and wireless networks. The individual will also be required to collect information regarding network issues from the customer and use tools/knowledge to investigate network connectivity issues.
- DNS/DHCP/IPAM support will include supporting the TDS-Operations team in updating DNS records, configuring DHCP scopes, and ensuring IP address information is accurately tracked in the Infoblox Grid and other management systems.
- Manage Firewalls. Firewall policy management will include reviewing logs and configurations to address connectivity issues. This may also include updating configurations on firewalls to maintain operations, support new projects, and address IT security requirements.
- Manage Wi-Fi infrastructure deployment, upgrades, tuning and maintenance.
- Data center management will support new systems being installed in the data center and ensure proper operations of current systems. This may also require monitoring of UPS power and network utilization.
- Support replacement of UPS units and/or batteries supporting network infrastructure. This will also include configuring and monitoring the new units in SolarWinds or other monitoring systems as required.
- Citrix remote access support will include reviewing, configuring, and/or updating NetScaler and XenApp resources to address remote access needs.
- Asset inventory support will include tracking hardware/software assets and updating records for maintenance renewals, IT audits, tech refresh, and other related tasks.
- Special event support will require the individual to work with event team members to ensure network connectivity needs are met for special events. This may include, but not limited to, surveying wireless network signal strength at specified locations, etc.
- Work with Help Desk team members to close out incident tickets related to networking and operations support. This will include all tasks listed above as well as reviewing ServiceNow tickets and updating information as needed.
- Design, Support and Operations of virtual networking within cloud-based environments.
- Support troubleshooting across general technology areas such as operating systems, applications, software installation, configuration and testing.
- Technical and process documentation following the Gallery’s tools and standards.
Reach me out at 510-479-9256
Job Type: Contract
Full Time Opportunity: