Come join the world’s largest independent renewable energy company active in wind, solar, energy storage and transmission and distribution. Our vision is to be a leader in the transition where everyone has access to affordable zero-carbon energy. Being part of the RES team means shaping the world’s energy future.
RES offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K + employer match, life insurance, and AD&D, paid time off, paid sabbatical, paid parental leave, alternative work schedules, fitness center membership, tuition reimbursement, and professional development.
Project Manager - Wind or Solar Construction
Construction Project Manager Wind or Solar
Summary: Site-based project management of Utility-scale wind, solar, battery storage or transmission projects. Work is 21 days site-based (includes days off) and 7 days offsite (location of choice); travel home program is established at the beginning of a project and is in effect for the duration of the project; the company provides stipend funds travel expenses.
- Leads by example to show that safety is the most important function, ensuring that all employees follow safe practices while working.
- Accountable to continually reinforce safe behaviors and correct “at-risk” behaviors.
- Ensures Job Hazard Analysis (JHA’s) occurs before all scopes of work commence.
- Adheres to and ensures all site team members understand RES’s standard operating procedures, including work instructions, quality management systems, etc.
- Ensures new Project Managers, Project Superintendents, Superintendents, Commercial Managers (project controls and contract management) and Project Engineers hires receive job- and task-specific safety training prior to work commencing.
- Leads and supports the site team in safety, technical, quality and environmental systems that RES has in this regard.
Client Relationship Management Accountabilities:
- Provides excellence in the management and delivery of the project, in-line with the client’s expectations.
- Strengthen and continuously maintain the client relationship.
- Develop the client expectation brief at the onset of the project.
- Prepare and manage the project execution plan, co-ordinate and host the project kick-off meetings, and prepare and manage effective project closeout.
- Manage project required construction permits as a prerequisite for project inception.
- Ensure the project schedule is regularly updated (at a minimum, weekly) and is prepared with a 3-week look ahead, and all Superintendents are actively using the schedule to manage their scopes of work, including crews, equipment, and material requirements.
- Work in close collaboration with the Commercial Manager to review the Estimate and allocate estimated items to the final project Budget.
- Regularly (weekly at a minimum) review projects costs to date vs forecast and committed costs, with the Commercial Manager.
- Proactively work with the Commercial Manager to forecast costs to complete for monthly project reviews and lead the monthly Project Status Review meeting, supported by the Commercial Manager, as required.
- Ensure Superintendents are procuring labor, equipment, materials, subcontractors, etc. in accordance with the project budget
- Be accountable for ensuring the key project team members (Project Superintendent, Project Engineer, Superintendents fully understand the prime (Client) contract (including all exhibits and ancillary documents) and sub-contracts and work with the Commercial Manager to arrange briefing sessions for the project team.
- Work with the Commercial Manager to ensure all contracts (prime and sub-contracts) are effectively managed, including change orders and documentation of variances.
- Ensures that the overall terms of the main contract are passed on to the subcontracts to ensure effective management of risk to RES.
- Directs, guides and coaches discipline managers to ensure activities on site are understood and following established processes through quality checks to verify compliance.
- Follows established RES processes, uses standard RES systems and ensures implementation is consistent across the project team.
- Ensures required communication lines on site are adhered to
- Communicates variances to clients and executive management promptly.
- Manages site personnel.
- Creates a culture of continuous improvement.
- Utilizes all RES’s Safety Management Systems (SMS), Quality Managements Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and technical procedures.
- Is accountable to ensure the performance of audit functions to ensure compliance with all contract requirements.
- Provide a positive and engaging work environment by:
- Aligning individual and team objectives to department and company objectives;
- Managing and supporting employee development and growth;
- Providing regular and direct feedback on performance and goal progress.
- Manages the project quality control program to ensure processes are consistently implemented according to the plan.
- Provides the required documents, drawings and other forms to active projects for monitoring and maintaining the EMS.
- Supports developing projects to complete all required permitting activities before commencement.
- Ensures training is provided and certifications are maintained on-field staff to comply with EMS requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in:
- Estimating work efforts
- Change order management
- Project Permits
- Team building
- Mentoring and facilitation
- Considered, effective decision making
- QA/QC Processes
- Development of processes and procedures
- Continuous improvement such as Lean, Six Sigma, Total Quality Management
- Understanding environmental concepts including permit requirements
- Interpreting state rules and regulations
- Project Finance
- Contract Management
- Sub-Contractor and vendor and materials management
- Construction drawing review
- Drawing Quantity Takeoff
- Engineering management
- Communications, leading meetings, engaging teams, public speaking, presentations
- Writing skills
- Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PPT, Outlook, Visio)
- Scheduling software (MS Project, Primavera 6)
- Job costing or accounting software
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or equivalent (equivalent is 8 years of experience in a construction company).
- Professional Engineer (PE) license is a plus.
- Must have 5-10 years of experience in general construction with a top tier company or wind farm/solar farm/battery storage facility/transmission construction with a top tier company.
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Must have a valid current driver's license, eligible for corporate vehicle insurance coverage.
- Must be able to obtain a valid passport to travel outside the U.S.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Construction site environment includes early-stage permitting, development and auditing through finished roads and features. Extensive travel with driving to remote sites along with office work in field conditions is also included.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Utility Scale Solar or Wind Farm Construction: 5 years (Required)
- Supervisory or Management: 3 years (Required)