4th-8th Grade ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies Teachers
Beginning August 2018
WHO WE ARE
DC Prep is a network of public charter schools serving over 1,700 preschool through 8th grade students across five campuses in Wards 5, 7, and 8. We're proud of being the highest-performing public charter network in Washington, DC – our students deserve our best! – while recognizing that how we support our students to be successful is as important as the results we achieve. That pushes us to reflect on questions such as how we can facilitate our students' academic, social and emotional development, how we can support our team members' professional growth and personal ability to do this work long-term, and how we can engage our students' families as our own. While this work is hard, it's worth it – we believe in the transformative power of education, the can-do-itness of our students and staff, and the joy that comes from engaging in meaningful work with people we care about and trust!
Here's how we drive results:
- Rigorous academic focus. Our Preppies receive the highest level of academic preparation through standards-based instruction, daily targeted interventions, and meaningful assessments.
- Culture built on character. Success is built upon character, so we build "Prep Skills" (e.g., persevering on tasks and projects, self-advocacy) into every minute of the day. We've built a strong community of Preppies, teachers, and families that are focused on character first.
- Commitment to reflection and refinement. Our results tell us that we are moving in the right direction, but there's further to go to ensure that every student receives a transformative education. As a team, we regularly reflect on our programmatic model to see what's working and where we can get better.
Are you interested in learning more about the DC Prep Way? If so, check out our website ( http://www.dcprep.org/ ) to find out more about what we're working towards and how we're doing it.
MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHERS AT DC PREP
Our middle school teachers support our Preppies' academic success and character development by:
- Planning thoughtfully and teaching joyously. You'll adapt our rigorous, standards-based curriculum to meet the particular needs of your students, thinking about both how to scaffold rigorous learning and how to infuse your kiddos' day with joy. You'll feel right at home, given your innate desire to spark a love of learning in your students!
- Using data intentionally. You are constantly thinking about how to help Preppies achieve ambitious goals. To track progress towards goals, you'll analyze academic and classroom culture data to inform your instruction and target focus areas for your students.
- Investing in their own learning. We support our teachers' ongoing professional growth through weekly professional development opportunities, as well as weekly observations and feedback conversations.
- Building mastery. Starting in 1st grade, our schools are departmentalized, supporting you to become an expert in one content area while working with a team of outstanding educators to provide our Preppies with strong instruction throughout every portion of their day. You'll dive into ELA, Math, Science, or Social Studies.
- Embodying the DC Prep Way. We've built a strong culture of high expectations and student achievement at DC Prep. You are excited to contribute to this culture and eager to promote the DC Prep Way to students, families, and community members.
WHO YOU ARE
Few things in life give you more pleasure than helping a child realize his or her potential for growth and then actually making that growth a reality. You're passionate about the need for students from underserved communities to learn without limits, the importance of addressing the intersection of race and public education in the U.S., and the transformational power of talented, mission-aligned people working together to advance a goal. You're open to feedback, eager to grow, and bring your best to everything you do. You look for joy in your day-to-day and want to work with others who do, too!
Additionally, you are a reflective, results-driven educator with:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and emotional constancy to build and maintain strong relationships with students, families, and colleagues.
- Superior analytical skills to support ongoing curriculum planning, development, and refinement
- Effective written communication skills
- Meticulous organizational abilities (enabling you to set priorities, then organize what needs to happen when to meet deadlines)
- Optimism, maturity, and personal resiliency
- A demonstrated belief in DC Prep's vision, mission, and values, including our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- 2+ years of lead teaching experience as a middle school teacher (4th-8th grade) in an urban public school with a record of high student achievement highly preferred
- Bachelor's degree from a competitive college or university required. Concentration or advanced degree in elementary education preferred.
Do you believe that Learning Has No Limits? Are you eager to join a supportive, innovative, and collaborative community of educators to help close the achievement gap? Apply today!
We're an equal opportunity employer and hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.