Do you see yourself as a Banquet Houseperson? What's your passion? Whether you're into tennis, shopping or reading a good book, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team. The Crowne Plaza White Plains is a well known landmark hotel in the Westchester, White Plains area. Located in the heart of the downtown district, this hotel enjoys an upscale and affluent clientele. The Crowne Plaza White Plains boasts an excellent local reputation and has served as host for many of Westchesters most prestigious corporate and social clients. By bringing your expertise and passion to any one of our brands, you will help us achieve our goal of creating great hotels guests love. We currently have a position available for Full Time Banquet Houseperson. This will be an excellent opportunity for an outstanding individual who share our passion for taking care of our guests. This professionally trained individual must be dedicated to providing customers with prompt enthusiastic service. Key responsiblities include the set-up and/or break-down tables, chairs, audio visual equipment and platforms/stages and other equipment as specified by group requirements. You will set-up table linens, skirting and table top items and clean, store, and secure in an organized manner all tables, chairs and audio visual equipment, platforms/stages and other equipment used for banquet functions. This role also maintains cleanliness of banquet rooms, banquet hallways, and storage and service areas. May refresh room during breaks and retrieve clean linen and skirting and stock in storage areas. You may pick-up and deliver all boxes and materials for function and may perform other duties as assigned.
Your day to day
Oversee all aspects of banquet room set-ups and break-downs and/or clean up of banquet functions according to standards and banquet event orders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise banquet staff in the set-up and/or break-down of assigned banquet functions. Schedule and assign work to ensure proper shift coverage.
- Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
- Ensure all staff is properly trained and have the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
- Ensure that rooms/function space are set-up according to guest expectations and banquet event order. Conduct pre-function meetings with scheduled staff and review all information pertinent to day’s functions. Inspect scheduled function areas/rooms, table set-ups, bar set-ups, buffet tables, receptions and coffee breaks for cleanliness, attractiveness, and proper layout.
- Monitor and maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of banquet set-up inventory and equipment, (2) replenish supplies, inventory, equipment, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (3) to minimize misuse and breakage of china, glassware, linen, and supplies and to ensure that no re-usable goods are wasted. Assist in establishing par levels for supplies and equipment.
- Assist in controlling departmental labor and expenses. Provide input into the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget.
- Ensure that equipment is prepared for the following day’s work. Ensure that all banquet equipment, tables, chairs, staging, etc. is in proper operational condition and is cleaned on a regular basis. Ensure that all banquet facilities are cleaned, vacuumed, and properly stocked according to anticipated business volumes.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Banquets, Rooms, Housekeeping, Maintenance and Guest Services.
- May assist with monthly inventory of banquet equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What we need from you
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
High school diploma or equivalent and two years experience in banquets or food and beverage operations including one year supervisor experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Some college or formal training in food and beverage operations preferred. Must speak fluent English.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds (tables, chairs, trays, bus tubs).
- Moving about the functions areas
- Handling objects
- Bending, stooping, kneeling
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting and leading others.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often with banquet event orders and giving and receiving instructions.
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
- Basic math skills are utilized in the proper set-up of function space.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, and training abilities are used often.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
What we offer
In return we’ll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide and are available as well as access to wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Mostly importantly, we’ll give you the room to be yourself
So What’s your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you can bring your individual skills to IHG.