The New York Public Library is the nation's largest public library system. Within its landmark building on Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street, The Library Shop serves hundreds of thousands of visitors a year with a collection of exclusive book-related gifts, jewelry and accessories and of course books for adults and children. Visit us at https://shop.nypl.org to see the nature (but not quite the scope) of our operation.
We are seeking a Part-Time Sales Associate to join our team in the Gift, Jewelry and Accessories department of The Library Shop. Enthusiasm, product knowledge, and excellent communication skills as well as a passion for the Library are necessary for you to enjoy and succeed in this position. If you are personally motivated by hand selling in a high traffic environment - and perhaps speak another language - write us a note with your resume and tell us why you're especially suited to this position.
Experience is a must, preferably in a boutique, specialty store or museum, as is Saturday availability. (Open Sundays only from Thanksgiving to the end of the year and a couple of these are required.) Beyond that a flexible schedule is preferred.
Reporting to the Manager of the Library Shop, the Part-Time Sales Associate:
- Engages customers with enthusiasm and product knowledge
- Communicates effectively to a wide range of customers as well as management
- Maintains inventory and restocks and re-sets displays
- Enjoys operating independently as well as part of a team
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- One year minimum in a retail environment, preferably in a specialty or museum shop
- Ability to set priorities, organize and work effectively and quickly
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills with a wide range of customers
- Three day a week availability including Saturdays
- Flexible schedule
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
Be Resourceful in solving problems
Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Able to stand for a full day, up to 7 hours
- Bending and lifting for restocking
25 to 30 hours per week, must have flexible schedule and be available on Saturdays
Union / Non Union