Network Engineer Status:
Full Time / Part Time, Employee Relevant Work Experience: 3-10+ Years Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU ENDED YOUR WORK DAY WITH A SMILE? It’s a great time to join our Service Desk team. Get access to all the tools and benefits of working with a larger firm while maintaining the feel of a small business environment. Not only do we take pride in what we do, we have a few laughs, stay relatively casual, and take pride in knowing we’re delivering best-in-class service while doing it. YOUR creativity, energy and “take no prisoners” attitude are what we need to augment our growing team of A-list talent. If you do not have a great customer service attitude or you are a jerk, please do not apply. We have a no jerks allowed policy…sorry.
Transitional Technologies, in business since 2003, is hiring a Network Engineer to service, support and interact with our clients by way of providing pro-active network management and services. Transitional Technologies will consider hiring only the ultimate team player and well-rounded individual.
Transitional Technologies is located in Louisville, KY and serves clients in the Louisville Metro region. Don’t worry though, most of the work we do is remote, so you won’t be driving all over the place unless things get very, very ugly.
Network Engineer Role Description:
All positions for the Service Desk require drive and determination to help us support our client base. We are looking for an individual who is a problem-solver and has a proven track record of working within a team environment to successfully address challenging user computing issues, and is accustomed to leveraging technical training opportunities to improve their skills.
Our Service Desk is responsible for maintaining user up time and improving users’ computing experiences through effective remote monitoring, maintenance and problem identification and resolution activities, as well as growing and developing the organization’s perception with existing customers through exceptional customer service. Candidates must be energetic and focused with a strong motivation to learn new technologies and management and maintenance processes. This piece of the position requires dedication, persistence, follow-up, effective utilization of provided resources and unbeatable, super-hero movie caliber customer service.
Job duties include utilizing our remote monitoring and management (RMM) and professional services automation (PSA) solutions along with other service-specific tools and technologies to deliver remote user support services and update service request information, answer technical support calls, assign ticket severity, prioritize work accordingly, and collaborate and work with other staff and vendor support resources to resolve issues. Overall relationship management and the ability to coordinate required resources to respond to complex IT requirements are desired. Other requirements include participating in ongoing training and attainment of manufacturer certifications, developing and maintaining relationships with user and vendor contacts, and preparing and presenting service and monitoring reports to management regularly.
1. MCSE (or working on it)
2. Minimum three years technical support experience, preferably delivering services in the SMB (small to midsize business) market
3. Excellent knowledge of our supported software and technologies (PSA and RMM Familiarity)
4. Superior documentation and writing capabilities (good way to show this would be your cover letter)
5. Strong interpersonal skills required to effectively communicate with customers, staff and vendor
6. Passion for teamwork, problem solving and exceptional customer service
7. Must be well spoken, organized, detail-oriented, dependable and flexible
8. Valid driver’s license and proof of insurance
9. Background check and drug screen required
10. Reliable transportation
11. Have a great sense of humor and capable of having fun
This Position Entails:
1. To perform technical triage on inbound customer requests.
2. Receive and stage computer equipment for deployments.
3. Travel to customer locations as needed.
4. The ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing requirements, in fact, things change so fast around here it’s best that you LOVE being challenged by change.
5. Planning, coordinating, directing and supervising ongoing projects to insure completion within scope, timeline and budget.
6. Troubleshooting network, equipment and service related problems with remote control technologies. Now that I think on this though, if you can do this from your living room, well, that’s a plus.
7. An unshakable, ravenous desire to AGGRESSIVELY expand your knowledge. Expect to read 3-5 company-assigned books as well as prepare for an ITIL v3 Foundation examination, and MCSE within your first 90 days of employment (training materials and mentoring provided), and that’s just the warm up!
8. Analyzing remote monitoring reports to identify capacity and performance issues and re-mediate them.
9. A passion for creating a memorable customer service experience. If you had a lemonade stand as a child and out-earned that snot-nosed kid across the street because you were offering a unique lemonade buying experience by way of perhaps car side service or complementary napkin or cookie, you’re probably in the right ballpark.
10. The ability to help the team manage, maintain, troubleshoot and support our users’ networks, equipment, software and services.
Before you contact us, please consider these questions:
- Can I articulate the primary functions of a Service Desk, its design according to best practice and suggest improvements to an existing series of Service Desk processes using my experience in these environments?
- Can I demonstrate my familiarity with LabTech or other comparable RMM toolsets?
- Can I demonstrate my skills focused on the design, preparation, installation and configuration of a server in a client/server environment?
- Can I demonstrate my skills focused on the design, preparation, installation and configuration of workstations in a client/server environment?
- Can I describe my skills pertaining to the configuration of hardware firewalls, network switches and Internet routers?
- If I take this job, will I be OK with being hazed as the “newbie” for at least 3 months or until Transitional Technologies hires another employee, whichever comes first?
- Can I describe past experience when questioned about my ability to build an entire company network from the ground up: Everything from initial planning phase to installation to providing troubleshooting and technical support?
- Can I design and configure every piece of hardware and software in that network?
- Can I provide references that will confirm my ability to consult with business owners and decision makers on a daily basis in order to make intelligent recommendations and purchasing decisions for their technology?
- Can I read 3-5 books, get my MCSE and ITIL v3 Foundation certifications in 90 days?
An answer of “YES! I can absolutely deliver on this! WHERE DO I SIGN UP!!?!” to all of the above is required for the Network Engineer position, and will be discussed during phone and in-person interviews. Please, when submitting resumes and cover letters, consider the above questions and tailor said documents to demonstrate these qualities.
Any mix of Microsoft, Cisco, PMI, LabTech, Connectwise and VMWare Certifications considered a MAJOR plus.