Associates in the Packaging Engineer position are responsible for delivery on our values of Customer Wins, Make Best Better, Passionate Persistence for Results and Please and Thank You. The Packaging Engineer executes on PPT’s Mission by creating product packaging to ensure product integrity and appeal under varying filling, shipping, and display conditions. The Packaging Engineer is also responsible for the creation and management of all internal and customer trials used to secure new business. This position will be called upon to assist other members of the Technical Team to achieve their objectives.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Test, analyze, and assist in the selection of materials for packaging based on durability and cost effectiveness.
- Translate customer requirements into product and process specifications so that the resulting packaging product meets or exceeds the needs of the customer.
- Utilizes knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of packaging engineering.
- Create and execute internal and customer trials for new business development.
- Maintain the contents of the sample inventory area in the warehouse.
- Assist with customer complaints and resulting product/process re-engineering efforts (as needed).
- Support creation of packaging die lines in conjunction with Engineering Support, acting as the Customer Advocate with new products or revisions to existing products.
- Creation of packaging mockups/hand samples as needed for new business/customer development activities.
- Assist in the qualification of new equipment, suppliers, or material grades as needed with CI Plant Engineers.
- Domestic and international travel may be required periodically in conjunction with customer visits, supplier visits, and other project activities.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Requires a degree in Packaging Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or closely related technical field. Previous experience in packaging engineering (most likely through a co-op or intern position) is preferred but not required. A typical candidate for this position would have 2-5 years of experience in packaging engineering.
- Team player with a desire to work in groups to achieve strong results
- Strong communication skills; ability to provide clear understanding of technical needs to non-technical audience; using a positive, energetic approach
- Has a passion for continuous improvement and sense of urgency to achieve results
- Good math skills and data analysis skills so that decisions and conclusions are based upon sound scientific judgment and/or statistical analysis.
- Ability to utilize standard test equipment including a tape measure, ruler, micrometer, tensile tester, drop test and other tools utilized in a packaging engineering function.
- Detail-orientation required for completion of required paperwork and information system’s inputs with a high degree of accuracy.
- Experience with utilizing continuous improvement methods (lean manufacturing, six sigma, etc.) is strongly preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently 2+) using proven and standard methods of project management.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Preferred working knowledge of flexible packaging filling equipment and basic knowledge of plastic films
Working Conditions and/or Physical Requirements:
- Able to lift 40 pounds.
- Must travel as required, less than 10%; overnight and international travel may be required. Valid US Passport needed.
- Able to tell differences in printed colors and compare to color standards.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Type: Full-time