This position provides oversight of Point of Care Testing (POCT) Program for the hospital. Provides advanced practical and theoretical skills as required to oversee and guide all aspects of POCT and serves as consultant/trainer to clinical areas associated with their facility. Demonstrates and understanding of lab processes and monitors the effectiveness of those processes through quality measures. This position ensures programs are consistent with regulatory and accrediting agency requirements.
1. Demonstrates an understanding of processes performed throughout the Laboratory while working in collaboration with Nursing, Physicians and other parties. Responsible for procedure and workflow oversight of POCT that is in agreement with hospital POCT policies and procedures. Integrates comprehensive technical knowledge and clinical relevance into the daily activities for POCT. Responsible for complex problem solving of technical, computer, interdepartmental and quality issues. Under the direction of site laboratory management and with system technical support, is responsible for implementation of system initiatives and standardization within their area. Monitors and ensures compliance with accrediting agency and regulatory requirements for the laboratory.
2. Prepares and provides information/updates/reports and pertinent Quality Assurance information to keep the Medical Director, Administrative Director, Hospital Administration, POCT Technical Specialist, Nursing contacts and others informed of POCT status at their facility. Actively participates in preparation for on-site accrediting processes and ensures that all documents and records are kept and meet the standards of accrediting and licensing agencies. Assists with the implementation of new QC/QA policies and continuous quality improvement programs in accordance with the system POCT Committee. Reviews all POCT data and advises POCT users on remedial action to be taken as indicated. Actively participates in POCT Committees and other committees as necessary.
3. Develops and maintains good working relationships with hospital staff through teamwork, and mentoring. Prepares and monitors POCT employee orientation, training, education, competency and provides guidance, as agreed upon by the POCT Committee. In conjunction with the Medical Director, Lab Administrator, Nursing staff and POCT Technical Specialist, assists in identifying the type and location of POCT within the facility.
4. Involved in system initiatives and multidisciplinary teams to support standardization. Acquires the skills necessary to utilize new tools and technology in the rapidly changing POCT environment.
5. Serves as a communication liaison for on-site and system issues. Provides access to other System resources when appropriate. Works closely with Nursing with emphasis on teamwork and a focus on customer service. Demonstrates appropriate verbal and written skills. Demonstrates preceptor and coaching skills and promotes a constructive environment that encourages learning and development.
- Bachelor’s degree in a chemical or biological science.
- Three (3) years’ experience as a MLS I/MLS II.
- Experience as a Respiratory Therapist (RRT) may be substituted for MLS experience.
- MT (HEW) certified technologist will be considered equivalent to BS and three years’ experience.
- Experience with Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, are required.
- Excellent problem solving skills, high level of self-motivation, ability to work well with others.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and demonstrated behaviors consistent with those identified as Company core behaviors.
- MLS (ASCP or equivalent) certification.