*Resumes submitted through the Indeed site will not be reviewed for this position. You MUST submit a complete application package as detailed in the full job announcement found on our website at https://www.vaed.uscourts.gov/jobs Application instructions are outlined in the announcement.*
The position is located in the Clerk’s Office of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria Division. The central mail and clerk sorts, opens, inspects, processes, and delivers incoming mail (including equipment and supplies) for the U.S. District Court. Other duties include processing outgoing mail for the U.S. District Court, including interoffice mail, UPS, and FEDex packages; managing records requests from other U.S. Courts, the public, and state courts (including archives); and, assisting with room set up for meetings and other events. Wearing protective clothing while processing incoming mail is a requirement for the job at times. Work requires repetitive motion when opening mail, bending and stretching when sorting mail, and prolonged standing and walking when delivering mail. Lifting heavy mail bins, boxes, and other items is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Retrieves, sorts, and opens incoming mail for the United States District Court.
- Delivers and retrieves mail for Court personnel, including the judicial staff. Also delivers and retrieves mail for Court’s disbursing office and other federal agencies.
- Verifies delivery of goods for acceptable condition and compares packing lists with purchase order documents for correct type, quantity, and condition. Notifies the custodial officer of new property upon receipt.
- Endorses and accurately records checks and money orders in daily mail log spreadsheet.
- Processes all outgoing mail for the Clerk’s Office including the delivery of UPS and FedEx packages to designated external drop areas.
- Operates a variety of mail equipment, including metered mailing equipment.
- Provides an accurate inventory of mail room supplies and ensures supplies are stocked on a timely basis.
- Requests records from the Federal Records Center using the Archives & Records Information System; logs receipt of the records in local database; and returns records upon completion of a case.
- Performs vault and file room inventories and maintains organized physical records, including trial exhibits, in all file locations.
- Assists with the set-up of conference rooms and other facilities for meetings and other events held on the premises. Moves other furniture/equipment throughout the courthouse upon request. Notifies the custodial officer of any property moves.
- Assists other sections in the office as needed, and other duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $34,284.00 - $55,748.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Wearing a mask and social distancing of at least 6 feet is optional. This includes, employees, vendors and the public. Visit our website at www.vaed.uscourts.gov for COVID-19 guidance.
Work Location: In person